Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Constipated Newborn

I have a 2 month old baby girl. The past 2 days she can't have a bowel movement. She pushes and srceams bloody murder. This morning there is blood bottom. All she can get out is a skidmark in her diaper. I have tried diluted apple juice. She does eat similac advance with iron. I am taking her off that today, but is there anything else I can do for her?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 28th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
First do not take her off of her formula without doctor consent. Second trying juice was good but maybe try peppermint in water.. Little bit of peppermint... Try a warm bath, massage the baby, and try the juice. This one is a tough one but eventually it will deal, I have never had the blood in the diaper though, I would go and see the doc because it could be the formula...Good luck!!
|

replied January 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey hun

hey

it could be the formula that is makin her constipated or the extra iron in the formula.. Try changing formulas.. When she is trying to do a bm lie her down and bend her legs continusaily my month old son has a problem with his bms some times and playing with his legs helps him do what he has to do and also calms him down... Try the formula that might work but because u have found blood in her diaper you might want to take her to the doctors... And get her checked out good luck
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi
I heard loooots of water and some plumb juice ..... Try that .

Ps: r u going to the doc with this ?
|

replied May 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
My daughter had this same problem - straight prune jiuce at 8 weeks worked wonders!!

But the dr also thought she might have had a "german sounding" condition where the muscles at the opening of the bottom do not work, until either it sort of explodes out or if a suppository (baby size!!) was put there it effectively did what the muscles wouldn't do & she went!! If this had been the problem an operation would have been required.

Another cause of her bowels not working & this is the reason, we finally discovered about 4 months ago (or rather our daughter did by going on line & searching - she'll be 16 this month & has suffered severe pain all her life from this) she has irritable bowel syndrome & so needs a specific carbohydrate diet & things have now improved greatly - so ong as she sticks to what she can eat.

Hope by now all is fine if not & if you do want more details pm me.
|

replied May 12th, 2004
I Had the Same Problem
The best thing that I have found to work is a laxative. They have them for newborns. My baby would scream bloody murder when he tried to have a bowel movement. And after giving him the laxative he hasnt had a problem. Do not take your baby off formula. Also it could be juice thats causing it if your giving it to him/her. 2 months old can not digest juice and your not suppose to give thme juice till 4/5 months old.
|

replied August 5th, 2005
My daughter ahd the same thing when she was a baby you can try to give her prun juice.Since shes small give her half juice and half water.
|

replied October 17th, 2005
Conspitation
My baby has had problems going to the bathroom since she was born. The doctors (ive asked quite a few) said that its because new babies don't know how to push the poop out right. So rather than opening their butt hole (sorry to put it that way) they clench it shut and the poop is just pushing up against their closed butthole. You can bicycle their legs to help or hold their legs up close to their chest. Also some karo syrup in a bottle w/ some water can help. Or with their formule but not more than like half a teaspoon every once in awhile. You can massage their stomachs to help too. It's very bad to keep switching formula and they really aren't supposed to be introduced to juices until they are about 4 months old. Most of the time the formule doesnt have anything to do with the constipation. But sometimes it does, in my case, my baby doesn't respond well to any formula but the most expensive. Babies can also react diffrently to diffrent brands of formula but its best to not switch so often.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....