My daughter who is 26 has, twice in the past year, gone through very long periods of shaking violently and uncontrollably.
This is usually preceeded by a change in her speech...Mixing up her words or rambling. If she recognizes it in time she can sometimes stop the tremors with ativan. On occasion, unrelated to the tremors, she has passed out or come very close to it. It has completely taken over her life. She once had to take 13 ativan to stop the shaking enough to go to sleep from exhaustion. The ativan, for some reason, goes out of her system very rapidly. I took her to the emergency room (one of about 10 times) and although she had taken an ativan 30 minutes before going to the er, there was not a trace of it in her blood nor urine. The doctor(?) basically said she was a liar and that she was causing the shaking for attention. She has been to numerous neurologists, had all kinds of testing and they
all tell her that it's stress. Her life now consists of having these "pseudoseizures" and sleeping them off. Has anyone out there had anything like this, does anyone know what it is, what can be done? I know my daughter and she is not doing this to herself. They also tell her it may be panic disorder. I have panic disorder and the symptoms are nothing like what she is going through. As I said this is consuming her life and I am beginning to be afraid of what she may do out of desperation. If anyone has had this experience, please reply. Even knowing she's not alone and not losing her mind might help a little. Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 22nd, 2006
I understand these "seizures" that you are talking about. My very first panic attack about 5 years ago, was an "out of the blue" panic attack, and I worked myself up so much that I started shaking so bad my mom had to literally hold me down. I was totally conscious and never did I pass out but I was shaking uncontrollably for about 30 mins. This has maybe happened a couple times since, but is the extreme cases for my panic. Panic can present itself in so many different ways. As for your daughter taking 13 ativan weather it leaves her system or not, being in a health care profession I can tell you that taking 13 at any strength 0.5 -4 mg (is prescribed for people with anxiety) could kill a person in overdose. And if I doesn't seriously harm the person, taking so much could actually have reverse effects, like convulsions, hallucinations, memory loss, and trouble breathing. I suggest that she see her doctor to find another drug that will relax her during these attacks, if she is in the clear for any other medical condition then the chance that it is panic is most likely. I know that the shaking is a symptom of panic and many other people have experienced it as well. I hope this has helped. And on a side note, I was terrified to take a medication to control my anxiety, I refused it for years, until I was in post secondary education and I was in a very competitive program and I had to give it 110%, and I realized that I just couldn't control all the panic without a little help. I eventually was able to get things under control again without medication. Your daughter may also be scared and maybe she never did take the pills. Its sometimes scary when panic has such control of your body and you cant do anything at the time to stop it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...