Just an hour or so ago.. I was getting to bed later than usual and right as I was drifting off to sleep I woke up in a panic and lightheaded and it was like I forgot to breathe for a minute it kinda freaked me out, but this happened another 3 times, and im soo scared to go to sleep now ( even though I dont think I could anyway) I broke down and was shaking and crying cause im scared to death this is the first time this has ever happened.. And I dont understand.. I called the hospital to talk to the doctor on call ( which I never do) and he asked if I had nerve medicine.. ( I dont take anything) and told me if I thought I couldnt wait to go to the er.. But im not going to.. But since I woke up like this im finding it hard to breathe now.. ( but I think its all in my head im just scared..) im shill shaking its like I caught the chills all of a sudden.. Does anyone know what could be wrong? ( I put this under anxiety and stress because the doctor said something about nerves meds..) help!!! I just need something to give me a lil peace of mind that im not dying.. ( I know this sounds soo stupid but im scared. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper benst523
|

replied October 19th, 2006
Please read your personal messages Exclamation
|

replied October 19th, 2006
Forgetting to Breathe
Smile there is such a thing...It's not actually "forgetting" it's called apnea. I have it, which was discovered after my doctor ordered 3 different types of sleep test. There's a machine with a mask that coveres your nose or both your nose and mouth, which forces air into your lungs so that you can't stop breathing. The rest sounds like classic panic attack, whick I also have and take a medication for. I am not a doctor, this is simply from my own experience. Check it out with your doctor. I hope it helps...I know how scarry it can be. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2006
Advanced Support Team
Sounds like apnea to me also. Were you overly tired???
|

replied November 10th, 2006
:d this happened to me a few years back after a long shift cabbying although I experienced a weird buzzing feeling in my ears and down my back. This was all of a sudden as I was drifting off, and this was followed by shaking like I was shivering which lasted about 4 hours. During which time I drove to the local a+e, was told to wait, waited a long while and was finally told it was probably anxiety or stress. It eased off then enough for me to sleep ok. But for 2 weeks after I was scared it was going to happen again, and would prefer to drift off sitting up. Rolling Eyes it hasnt happened since, although I sometimes hear a mild buzzing when trying to drift off :d
|

replied January 28th, 2011
Sometimes when I'm reading or intensely focused on something I forget to inhale after I exhale. The result is the feeling that my throat and lungs are closing up and I fall into a panic attack. I have excessive Cortisol levels which contribute to anxiety and panic attacks. This may be one of the reasons for you feeling panic or feeling scared of death etc. There are ways you can treat high cortisol levels. You can take Omega-3 and B vitamins which promote a healthy nervous system. You can also drink black tea everyday which has recently been proven to help with anxiety. Another great thing to do is exercise at least 20 minutes day. For me, the more I sweat the better, and more relaxed I feel afterwards. Try to not obsess over your breathing. Keep telling yourself that it is exponentially more likely that it is all in your head than an actual physical problem.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...