It's fine!
I don't think it's a good idea
I don't know/don't care
32%  32%  [ 13 ]
65%  65%  [ 26 ]
2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 40
User Profile
We're considering getting .Alyvia's ears pierced. I'd like some opinions!

And, if you've had your baby's ears pierced, tell me about the experience! (that means you, .Sarah!)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
No offense to anyone, but I think pierced ears on a baby looks tacky. I don't know why...

When I have a girl i'm going to have nick take her to get them done when she's 5 or 6, if that's what she wants. My dad took me and even though it's been like 22 years I still remember that day vividly and it's a great memory. (we went to see sleeping beauty at the movie theater, got my ears pierced at the mall, and went out for ice cream where I had rainbow sherbert).
|

Extremely eHealthy
I am going to make .Melia an appointment just for her ear piercing. Her pedi will do it and it only cost 20 dollars. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its good to do it now because they will not mess with them and they will heal nicely.

But that is my oppionion.
|

User Profile
Supporter
It's all personal choice, but i'm waiting until my daughter is old enough to ask to have it done, I don't want to risk her pulling them out and hurting her ears when she's too little to understand what they are. I want it to be a special experience for her that she'll remember, like for one of her birthdays or something.
|

Especially eHealthy
You know that I did .Oni's myself. So of course I think it's ok.

I did hers at 3 months, so that she wouldn't notice them. She, of course, *still* has no idea that they're there!!

You can do them yourself. I, personally, wouldn't let someone *else* put my child through that. I didn't like her crying, but I think i'd deck somebody if they held my child's head down. But that's just my opinion.

I'm sure people are gonna call me insane for piercing my childs ears myself. But, oh well. They're done and they're beautiful!!!!

Her doctor even commented on how cute they were! He said that they could've done it, but when I explained my motives, he agreed. It's bad enough I let them give her the shots. If I could do that....I would.

Edited to add: I have 6 holes in heach of my ears. I did them al except for the 1st ones. So I went to .Sally's .Beauty .Supply and got the gun and the earrings and the whole process was done in 5 mins.

Baron cried, actually more than .Oni did!!

I think .Aly would be sooo *cute* with little diamond earrings!!!!!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
See I had a very bad experience with my ears and I dont' want my baby to go thru the same thing. My child will be too young to pull on her ears and they will heal properly before she even knows they are there.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think it is inappropriate. I wouldn't tattoo my child. I don't want to force ear peircing on her either. She is nearly 8 now and has asked for her ears peirced - but then decides against it. Then decides she wants it. Then thinks better.

It is her body. It should be her choice.
|

Experienced User
Lol, wow, I didn't realize people were against ear piercings on babies. I never really thought about it. I can see why though.

Well my mudder took me to get my ears pierced when I was 3 months old. I think that as long as the earring are just little gold studs, or even tiny hoops (that's what I had), it would be ok. If your baby had a tendency to pull on say, her ears, then maybe no. But more than likely your baby is not going to be "hey what are these things in my ears"; they just don't seem to notice things like that at such a young age.

Lol I would imagine no one would put chandelier earrings on a baby, those would get caught on something.

But I do agree with sarah, little diamond earring would be soooo cute on aly!! Then you could save them for her along with all of her baby stuff and show them to her when she was older. I like it when my mom shows me all my old baby stuff, it's cute.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Personally, I wouldn't pierce my (hypothetical) daughter's ears because it is her body and I would want her to want to have it done. If she wanted her ears pierced when she is older then, assuming I felt she was mature enough to look after them, then I would take her. As a mum, I have to make decisions all the time regarding what happens to my son and I use my best judgement (with vaccinations for example) but for me, piercing is something that should be my child's choice.

Also, on a young child I would worry about them removing the earrings and choking on them.

That's just me. I don't think ear piercing is up there with beating a child so don't mind what other mums choose to do with regards to it.
|

User Profile
Supporter
We will probably pierce .Jersey's ears within the first 3-4 months. I would rather do it when she's young and she won't grab at it. Brian had his done this past .July(his personal choice), and he doesn't leave the damn thing alone!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Thanks for the opinions, ladies!

We keep going back and forth on it, so we'll probably wait until we're 100% sure about it. I'd asked .Aly's pedi about piercing when we took her for her shots, and she said she didn't see a problem with it. Then again, she was probably hitting it from a health perspective.

Thanks for the honest replies! Wink
|

Re
I totally agree with ingi...The poor baby doesnt have a choice and you wouldnt give her a tattoo...My daughter will not be getting hers done until shes 16 (i believe this should b made the legal age), when shes old enough to make her own mind up
|

User Profile
Supporter
Re: Re
misstiddlypeeps wrote:
my daughter will not be getting hers done until shes 16 (i believe this should b made the legal age)

i respect your opinion, but if you tell her she's not allowed to get it done til she's 16 she'll probably just rebel against you and get it done anyway. I was 11 when my mum let me get it done, and I think that's fair because I asked to have it done and she said it could be a birthday present. She wouldn't let me get my belly button done, so I got that done behind her back.. It's just what teenagers do.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Wow some responses are a little exaggerated. Its fine to pierce after a few months...I dont agree with it right away but at say 3 months ..Nothing wrong with it..
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I don't see the reason to pierce a baby's ears.... I think it's cheap and tacky looking and I think that it's pointless b/c a baby doesn't even know that they're pierced and it's strictly done for the mother's enjoyment. I don't know about all of you, but I would not put holes in my newborn baby's ears just so people will think she looks cute. Babies are beautiful without all the glitz and glam that we adults use to make ourselves feel pretty. That's all it is. Ear piercing is just a superficial way to get attention. My mom didn't pierce my ears until I was 5, and my baby pictures were just as cute and beatiful without them. My brianne isn't going to get her ears pierced when she's born... Not for at least 4 years so she is old enough to realize that they're there and can pick out her own cute little earrings.
|

I got layla's ears peirced when she was 7 months but she started messing with them and I had to take them out. They have closed up now and I will now leave them until she's old enough to want them.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Lol I respect your opinion too but sheesh 16? I got my belly button pierced when I was 13, but it's your choice. I agree with zan though, my mom told me I couldn't get my nose pierced so I did it myself... She ended up having me take it out but the point is I did it behind her back because she wouldn't let me. If she would ahve told me I could do it I probably wouldnt have been as interested lol
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
emma2 wrote:
wow some responses are a little exaggerated. Its fine to pierce after a few months...I dont agree with it right away but at say 3 months ..Nothing wrong with it..
I agree,young enough to forget the annoying pain from it but not old enough to realize they're there and pull them out! I don't think its looks tacky,i think its cute.
|

Extremely eHealthy
melissa_20 wrote:
emma2 wrote:
wow some responses are a little exaggerated. Its fine to pierce after a few months...I dont agree with it right away but at say 3 months ..Nothing wrong with it..
I agree,young enough to forget the annoying pain from it but not old enough to realize they're there and pull them out! I don't think its looks tacky,i think its cute.

i agree, it seems that some of you think that my daughter will be cheapened and maybe turn into a [tramp] if I pierce her ears. I know that is not what you are saying but that is what it sounds like. Giving a baby a tattoo is just crule and unusual. Melia will be getting hers done and it's not for my enjoyment. And if she doesn't like them when she gets older she can by all means take them out. My little sister decided that she wanted hers done @ 4 years old and she only has one hole in her ears because she was too scared to get the other...But she won't take the other one out. So I will not go through this with my daughter.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
anonymous wrote:
i got layla's ears peirced when she was 7 months but she started messing with them and I had to take them out. They have closed up now and I will now leave them until she's old enough to want them.

that was from me. I don't know why it came up as guest. If I had my time over I would of done her ears at 3 months old so she didn't mess with them
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....