Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleepiness, obestiy, and depression: Endocrine disorder or l

User Profile
I have been asking all over to figure out what is wrong with me but it just seems like no one believes me when I explain to them what is going on. They just think I'm a lazy fat girl who doesnt "want" to make anything of herself and her future......especially my parents.

I am constantly sleepy and tired....infact exhuasted would be a nice way to put it. I don't go to school (home schooled....sleepyness was part of the reason I left school in the first place) so I have plenty of time to sleep.....usually 14-18 hours a night on average, I can't sleep anymore than that cause it just gets uncomfortable and my back starts hurting from laying so long.....but if I could I would sleep alot longer. I wish I could sleep all day, I'm just too sleepy to fully focus on anything, even if I want to.....it's as if I have no choice. As if I am a slave to my sleepyness. I have a huge problem with waking up in the mornings...im not sure why, even if I want to it's impossible to get myself up and out of bed.

I can drink all the coffee and energy drinks I want and take all the cold showers I could possibly take but it makes absolutely no difference, it's like the coffee goes in and just sits there, nothing at all happens except for a stomache ache or two cause of the irritants....my eyes are always so heavy and it's impossible to focus on anything. My parents think I'm just lazy and that I dont want to exercise and lose weight (which I would do anything in order to be able to do), but I can't manage to get enough energy to burn any amount of calories. I just feel if I were more energetic and awake I'd finally be able to lose weight and not gain it back times 2.....maybe I could even graduate by next year (I can finish school on my own schedule cause of my online academy. As long as I can stay awake long enough to finish a coarse or two....or if I had enough focus and energy to.)

I persuaded my dad a while back to talk to someone (doctor friend) about my situation and the guy told him i'ts nothing, just me. He said I don't make the effort.....fact is I shouldnt HAVE to make such an enormous effort. I should be able to wake up and stay awake effortlessly, I mean the human race has been doing this effortlessly every day since the dawn of time......why must it be so difficult for me???

I don't think I have any other symptoms or problems, my knee's don't buckle simultaniosly, I don't just faint and fall asleep...or lock up all of the sudden, I do find it difficult to wake up and can fall asleep any time, any place as I please but other than that I don't think I have any sorts of sleep-breathing problems.....just breathing trouble in general whilst I'm awake ( I have a BMI of 35.2, it's not unexpected). No leg/foot tingling......hmmm, what else, well I think thats about it for symptoms, or as far as I know atleast.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention, I have been having these sleeping issues since I was 13-14 and it got a whole lot worse and out of control over the time untill at 16 I left school. Now I can't keep a single job, no matter what time of the day I need to work.....no matter what I have to do, it seems as if just keeping my eyes open is enough to tire me out completely.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2006
Sleep Disorders Answer A1639
According to your symptoms (sleepiness, tiredness, feeling existed, lack of will for anything, unable to go to school…) you might be experiencing some kind of depression. One of the signs of depression is lack of will. Obesity might be a direct consequence of having no physical activity and taking energy drinks. You can stop taking energy drinks and coffee. It seems that you need medical help to identify the reason for depression. It is possible that depression is only a symptom of an endocrine disorder. You can go to your GP (general practitioner) at once.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.