Ok I have been a member here for sooo long and im getting so frustrated with my situation. Im twenty nearly 21 and im desperate to concieve, ive had friends come and go and they have had the joy of getting pregnant, and there children are up to 5 years old now.
Basically I went to my doctors about 6 months ago and he ran a few tests on me, turns out I have low folic acid levels so when I want to start a family I have to take suppliments. Im confused though because I didnt think low folic acid prevents pregnancy?

This sounds very immature of me, but im afraid my doctor will laugh at me because im twenty years old and I might be told im to young, in my eyes I no im not.

Please any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 11th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi there, i'll help you if I can about folic acid.

Folic acid, a b vitamin, helps prevent birth defects of the brain and spinal cord when taken very early in pregnancy. It is available in most multivitamins, as a folic acid-only supplement and in some foods.

Take a multivitamin with 400 micrograms of folic acid every day before pregnancy and during early pregnancy, as part of a healthy diet.

Folic acid is a naturally occurring b vitamin that helps a baby's neural tube—the part of a developing baby that becomes the brain and spinal cord—develop properly. It must be taken before and during early pregnancy when the neural tube is developing.

Folic acid works, but it only works if taken before and during the first few weeks of pregnancy, when the neural tube is developing into the brain and spinal cord.

More importantly if you are ttc just relax and enjoy the process, if you are stressed or upset this may interfere with your ovulation.

If you still have worries I suggest you go to a doctor that you will feel comfortable with or a family planning centre to talk about yur fears and expectations.

Goodluck and keep us posted!
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
It is sometimes a good idea to get the both of you checked out, it might not be you. Relax, enjoy, try not to stress.
Baby dust to you both.
|

replied October 12th, 2006
Experienced User
A folic acid deficiency will not affect your ability to get pregnant but you do need to get your levels up before you get pregnant for the baby's sake.

Even though you are young, you could still have trouble ttc. If you have been trying for a long time, I would definitely see a doctor. You just never know if there is a problem or not. Staying relaxed and enjoying the process is great but you can only sit back and try to let nature take it's course for so long. At some point you may need to take a more proactive approach. Conceiving doesn't happen easily for everyone. I don't mean to be a downer. I just wish someone would have told me the same thing when we were ttc our first.
|

replied October 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanx for all your help, I have brought some folic acid so fingers crossed..Another thing I forgot to mention is that I did try ovulex for 3 months a while back. And my boyfiend has a 2 year old already.
Well ill try the folic acid for another month, if no luck then im going to my local family planning clinic.
Xxx
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hey, don't fel bad about being young. I just turned 21 and I have been ttc for 10 months now. Dh and I are going through a rough time in our relationship though so we are going to wait until we know how we are doing until we start actively ttc. I have been reading you all posts though!

Baby dust to all!
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....