Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Colon Ulcers: related to Stress/IBS or Ulceritis Colitis/Chr

User Profile
I have always seemed to think I have IBS. I recently had a colonoscopy where they found ulcers. My Dr. said I could have ulceritis colitis or chrons disease. When I look up the symptoms my symptoms don't seem to match either of those. My symptoms more relate to IBS. I have comstipation then diarreha, I have never had blood in my stool. Also my symptoms are more related to Anxiety and any time I have to change my routine, like if I have dinner plans or going to the movies that is when I seem to get diarreah. Is it posssible the ulcers on my colon are not related to ulceritis or chrons and could be related more to stress?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2006
Digestive & Bowel Disorders Answer A1632
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of the large intestines. IBS does not indicate presence of an organic lesion on the intestines. Rather, IBS indicates a distrubance in the reflexes that control the intestinal peristaltic movements. IBS is related to stress and anxiety and is considered to be a psycho-somatic disease. In your case, organic lesions (ulcers) are found in the colon. Therefore, it is not possible to say that all your symptoms are due only to IBS. Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are inflammatory diseases (probably autoimmune) with unknown etiologies that can be confirmed only with a biopsy. During a biopsy, a piece of tissue is taken from the lesion and examined by a pathologist. Both diseases are also connected with anxiety and stress.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.