I'm a 23 year old student, and i've been having odd manifestations for a while, not so bad right now, but they come and go and seem to be getting worse.

I'll be talking to someone and suddenly i'll drop 2 or 3 syllables from what i'm saying. This has happened for a fairly long time, but only occasionally, say when i'm anxious. Then it started happening more, and for a while it was coming on really badly in spells. It would get difficult to keep talking. Something similar with my handwriting--i make a lot of mistakes in my handwriting. I tend to drop letters, even though i'm a good speller and I don't use spellcheck. If i've been writing a lot by hand, the problem diminishes, but it's still there.

Also my memory has always been a little shaky, but there are times when I can't remember the simplest things. Names of really famous actors and musicians, particular words, what I just ordered...

I was convinced it was hypoglycemia, since I tend to get tired after I eat, to the point where I have to avoid eating for a while to focus on my studying.

I talked to my doctor and she didn't seem to think it was hypoglycemia. She said it sounded like some kind of metabolic problem and that I should see a neurologist, but that was just about the time I was moving. I don't know of any neurologists around here and I don't want to spend a lot of money if she was just trying to calm my hypochondria, you know? (i am kind of a hypochondriac.)

also my libido has been diminishing. I tend to get depressed, but i'm not on antidepressants any more and my mood is more stable than ever.

Does anyone know what might be going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2006
I get that way if something has got me really stressed
|

replied October 7th, 2006
It doesn't seem directly related to stress, maybe more to whether i've been eating healthy and sleeping enough. I've probably been under more stress recently, more demanding courses etc, but i've had less of an issue. The reason i'm posting is I don't really know where all this comes from or whether I should be worried about it.

Is there anything else that causes this stuff, or is it always stress in your case?
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2006
Community Volunteer
It's not stress. I'm pretty definite this is hypoglycemia because i've lived it first hand. I sent you a private message, please read and respond immediately so I can tell you what you need to do. Please, please take this seriously, if you don't you'll end up worse and potentially face some terrible things worse than what you're talking about now.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....