I am 41 years old. For the most part I am pretty healthy. About 3 years ago while talking to a friend at work I suddenly began to garble my words. Nothing would come out right. I could think clearly, but it sounded as if my tongue was swollen in my mouth (which it was not). It has happened several times over the 3 years. I can even tell now when it is happening and will try and read a street sign or something and it's completely unintelligible. It only lasts a few seconds. I was told by a nuerologist (?), who saw me for about 5 minutes and was reviewing a 4 or 5 year old mri of my head, that I have a small tangled cluster of veins near one of my temples, about the size of an eraser head. It's near the speech region of my brain. He says an electrical charge is causing my problem. If it continued, which it has, he wanted to put me on meds for epilepsy, even though I am not epileptic. He said I would need to take these for life. Any ideas? I am a police officer and hostage negotiator! Even a split second not being able to communicate can endanger a life. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Symptoms
You may not have epilepsy, but most meds can be used for something else if the doctor thinks its warranted. I would take the meds and see if they help me. Wink
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Maybe you should get a second opinion. I mean not only can it make a difference in saving someone elses life...But you never know..Maybe even yours! If at all possible I would see another doctor and have an updated mri done. Or if anything have your current doctor do a more recent mri, maybe it could have gotten worse?

~sara~
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Antonio Marotta
User Profile
Andre V Strizhak
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....