Not sure where to put this...

My boyfriend had a vasectomy about a year and a half ago. He was married and had had a baby that they almost lost, so he was a bit freaked about the situation. He is divorced, 24 years old now.

We are totally in love and very serious. He does want more children now, and he was told the vasectomy could be reversed.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or how we could become pregnant down the road? Different options?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Vasectomy
Hi! I had a friend that had had a child with his previous wife, then had a vasectomy. A few years ago he had it reversed and now he has 3 beautiful girls wth his current wife, soooo, it can happen! Good luck :

jeannine
|

Active User, very eHealthy
The success rate for vasectomy reversals isn't very good (less than 20 percent, I believe). If you absolutely cannot live without having children, there is in-vitro fertilization. But do keep in mind that children conceived via ivf have a much greater chance of being born premature and having birth defects, and there's a greater chance of having multiples (which can be bad if you have a tight budget). Also, ivf costs quite a lot - in the area of $12,000.

You need not answer this here if it's too personal, but why did your boyfriend get a vasectomy if he wanted more children?
|

He said he got it because he was scared about what happened with his wife, their baby was born with alot of disabilities because of a birth complication and she almost died.

Their whole relationship is a big story, so I dont want to speculate on the why's and if's...

But he just wasn't planning on anymore after that. But he loves family and he said that if the right person came around and he felt it was right he would get it reversed. And he was told her could get it reversed to which helped with the decision...
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....