I had a tatoo on the inside of my right ankle. I recently had it cut out with a scalpel by a friend of mine who practices scarification. With scarification, you would normally heal the wound via covering with cling wrap and keeping moist, because you would want a scar to form. I was told that because I did not want to achieve the scar, but to only have the tatoo removed, to let it scab, wash with anti bacterial soap, soak in sea salt in a bucket and leave uncovered. I am doing this at the moment. I am just in so much pain and the scab keeps breaking. The doctor has told me to put an antibacterial cream on it that he prescribed.. But I have found that by doing this, it doesn't scab, it just seeps because of the oil base in the cream. I am not using the cream anymore, as I want it to scab. The doc also said not to go to the beach.. Is this correct? I thought salt water would benefit the healing process. I need this to be healed pretty much in 7 weeks, as I am travelling to thailand. I would like an opinion on how to best heal this would quickly! Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Skin Removed (tatoo Cut Out)
peta82 wrote:
i had a tatoo on the inside of my right ankle. I recently had it cut out with a scalpel by a friend of mine who practices scarification. With scarification, you would normally heal the wound via covering with cling wrap and keeping moist, because you would want a scar to form. I was told that because I did not want to achieve the scar, but to only have the tatoo removed, to let it scab, wash with anti bacterial soap, soak in sea salt in a bucket and leave uncovered. I am doing this at the moment. I am just in so much pain and the scab keeps breaking. The doctor has told me to put an antibacterial cream on it that he prescribed.. But I have found that by doing this, it doesn't scab, it just seeps because of the oil base in the cream. I am not using the cream anymore, as I want it to scab. The doc also said not to go to the beach.. Is this correct? I thought salt water would benefit the healing process. I need this to be healed pretty much in 7 weeks, as I am travelling to thailand. I would like an opinion on how to best heal this would quickly! Thanks!

why in the hell would you do that?!
|

replied October 5th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
The doctor probably didn't want you getting germs from other people or sand into the wound; plus there are a lot of microbes in ocean water. Swimming with an open wound anywhere is a bad idea!

Also... Ouch. Why in god's name!?
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Re: Skin Removed (tatoo Cut Out)
Try finding lavender oil it will kill the germs and help it heal.. Tea oil can can be used instead as it helps infection and minimizes scarring as well... Or use echinacea, marigold, or myrrh tincture (dilute them in a little water first) another option is comfrey ointment, which also may quicken the healing process, once you completed this.. Bandage the wound. Change the bandage three or four times a day, and spread either soothing aloe vera gel or calendula cream on the wound each time to relieve or limit inflammation, stop infection, and speed healing
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Salt water only prevent secondary bacterial infection. Zinc supplements and vitamin C are helpful in healing.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.