Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Eptopic pregnancy: how to identify

User Profile
Hi doctor, recently 3month ago i had an eptopic pregnacy and am a little concerded as i have just found out i am pregnat i called my doctor and she sent me for 2 blood test and this is to confrim the location of the baby she did not ask to see me is this normal? also what is the chances of it happening again? i also dont have any symptons yet of being pregnant only a little tied and now and agin sore boobs but i dont realy feel pregant is this all normal im so concered and carnt seem to relax i just want all the normal thing that doctors do when they onfirm dates and have a chat with u please help.
Regards.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2006
Pregnancy Answer A1600
A positive pregnancy test confirms a pregnancy but cannot precisely locate it. Pregnancy tests detect the hormone hCG. The hCG levels in cases of ectopic pregnancy are lower than in normal pregnancies, so a false-negative results is possible. To avoid a false-negative test, you should use the more specific, blood-based pregnancy test (beta). In cases of ectopic pregnancy, not only are the hCG-levels lower than normal, but also the hCG-level increases more slowly than during a normal pregnancy. In a normal pregnancy, the hCG-level doubles every 24 hours in the first weeks of pregnancy. In the case of an ectopic pregnancy, the increasing of hCG-levels are less than 66% over 48 hours. The location of an ectopic pregnancy can be determined with an ultrasound, but not always. Normal (uterine) pregnancies can be confirmed with ultrasound in the 5th week of pregnancy. Tubal ectopic pregnancies can’t be seen with an ultrasound before the 7th week of pregnancy . Therefore, in some cases, a laparoscopy will be requested to find the embryo. Chances of having a repeated ectopic pregnancy are 15%.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.