User Profile
I got the 2007 booklist from my library last week, and there are a lot of books on teen pregnancy that are really good! I'm going to list them here, and rate and review the ones i've read. The stars are out of *****.

Someone like you - sarah dessen ***1/2

this was a great book, mainly because sarah dessen is such a fabulous author. It was a pretty easy read and not that emotional, but has some great messages.

Hanging onto max - margaret bechard **1/2

this book was good in the beginning, and I liked all the father/son things...But it was kind of strange in the transitions form past to present, and the end is completely random. I was a little bit disappointed, but it's a good book for teen fathers.

Mr. And mrs. Bo jo jones - ann head ****

i really liked this book, even though it's pretty old. It's believeable and well-told, and even though the ending could have been better put together, I was pleasantly surprised. I read this for school, and it makes you think.

Her daughter's eyes - jessica barksdale inclan ***

this was a very strange book, but still good in it's way. It had a lot of reflecting, and it was very unrealistic, and the characters were sometimes so stupid you may wish you could slap them...But it was insightful, and may be able to stop girls making some very bad decisions.

Where the heart is - billie lets ****

it's hard not to fall in love with sweet little southern novalee nation, who's a naive pregnant teenager who gets left by her jerkwad of a boyfriend at a wal-mart in oklahoma. I adored this book, but i'm giving it 4/5 stars because I wasn't happy about all the predictable romance thrown in. I loveloveloved it until the late middle, though. A classic.

My darling, my hamburger - paul zindel ****

i'm giving this four stars, but the things it you may have to read it several times to appreciate it. You may think it's stupid and random, but I love this book, I love the characters, and it really touched me, even though it can be kind of bland with emotion in that way that old books are. I love the last page especially.

The first part last - angela johnson **1/2

this book was 'good'...But it was trying a little too hard to be poetic. It was a view of the struggles of a teen father trying to raise his baby daughter, and there are a lot of nice quotes. But still, it didn't really move me at all. I was disappointed, but you may like it. It all depends.

This is the country - william wall *****

i'm giving this five stars, and i'm going to say now that the part about teen pregnancy lasts about a chapter. It's mainly about the father. The poem inside of the boom (called 'this is the country') is one of my favorite poems of all time. This book can be hard to follow, but it's beautiful and mesmerizing, and paints a picture of the gritty parts of irish country.

Me and luke - audrey o'hearn **

there were a lot of parts in this book I liked. Again, I really liked the beginning, the with the conflicts and the background. But I didn't like the middle on, and it was too much plot and not enough feeling. And random mean people. But again, a good novel for teen fathers.

Annie's baby - beatrice sparks ****1/2

i really liked this book. Really, really liked. It was so realistic, and you could see what was happening at all times, even if it was in the format of a diary. The ending is kind of sad, but annie's journey is amazing. I would read this book over and over again.

Spellbound - janet mcdonald 1/2

i really didn't like this one. For one, I couldn't stand the grammar (or lack thereof) in the dialogue. I realize it was set in harlem, but I still found it difficult to read. It's also pretty cliche, which is fine, but as thin as the boom was, it took me two weeks to read because I couldn't get into it. I still don't like it. I'll give it half a star as props for the main character going after whatever the hell she wants.

Roxy's baby - catherine mcphail

please, please, for the love of god, save yourself and do not read this book. Okay, let me be more specific. If I had to choose five adjectives to describe this book, it would be tacky, disturbing, lazy, random, and boring. The author uses such a disturbing concept, yet the book involves weird plot twists, unrealistic character growth, and a lot of inconsistencies. Plus, nobody can be as intuitive as roxy is. I mean, please.

Here are a list of books concerning teen pregnan cy that I haven't read yet (i will rate and review as I read them).

Looking for home - jean ferris
rainbow jordan - alice childress
if beale street could talk - james baldwin
gather together in my name - maya angelou
he's my baby now - jeanette eyerly
a dance for three - louise plummer
brave new girl - louisa luna
don't look and it won't hurt - richard peck
lucy peale - colby rodowsky
charlotte temple - susanna rowson
the snapper - roddy doyle
useful girl - marcus stevens
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 3rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I loved mr and mrs bo jo jones. That bookwas wonderful and I cried
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Where the heart is *puuuuuuuuuke* have you ever seen the movie?

You like to read huh :p
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yes, i've seen the movie. Smile I don't like it too much. As I said, before 'forney' comes in as a main character, I loved it. After that, I was gravely upset.

I'm a total bookworm! Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
I'm a book nerd too.

But it's stuff like kafka and dostoevsky. I hate teen books. They annoy me. = (
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I love stuff like that too, tanya. But I get high school credits if I read all the books on the reading list. And i've stumbled across these books, and some people on here might want to read them.

This is the country isn't a teen book, so I suggest reading that if the rest are too teen.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
hcobrunette06 wrote:
where the heart is *puuuuuuuuuke* have you ever seen the movie?

You like to read huh :p
i like that movie! Lol
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
That doesn't surprise me :p

jjust kidding I love you.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...