Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Herpes: can partner transmit lesion from her back to my peni

User Profile
I had an encounter with a woman that has herpes. The area affected is on her back. There was oral sex only performed by her. I am wondering if ti is possible to contract herpes without my penis being in direct contact with her affected area.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2006
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A1589
According to your description (your sexual partner's back is affected with herpes), is it possible that your sexual partner has what is called a "herpes zoster lesion". Herpes zoster is a recidiv (reoccurring) infection when the primary infection is caused by the varicella herpes-zoster virus. During a primary infection (usually in childhood), the varicella-zoster causes chickenpox (varicella). After tit runs its course, the virus can remain in the body in an inactive state, hidden in the ganglia of the peripheral sensory nerves. In conditions when immunity drops (stress, other diseases), the hidden virus can become active and cause very painful skin lesions. This condition is called herpes zoster. Neither varicella (chickenpox) nor herpes zoster are sexually transmitted.
There is another herpes-virus named as Herpes simplex virus (HSV) that is transmitted by direct contact (including sexual) with the affected skin or mucosal area.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.