Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

What Are the Rights of the Teenager? (Page 1)

My daughter has a friend who thinks she could be pg. Her parents found out and asked her about it and she didn't lie to them. They are taking her for a pg. Test and told her if she was that she had to abort the baby. She does not want to do this what rights does she have?

Any advice would be great thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I'm afraid i'm not sure in the us but here, provided she is deemed capable of understanding the nature of the procedure she is capable of making the decision herself without parental consent or information
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Her body, her choice. Her parents cant make her do anything she doesnt want to with her own body.
|

Especially eHealthy
Her parents cannot force her to abort. If she is deemed capable of carrying the pregnancy, and capable of providing for the child if she wants to keep it, then she has every right to do so. However, she does need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of abortion, adoption, or keeping, on her own time, away from her parents.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do tell her to contact life uk they will help her all she can and offer councling whatever her descion

http://www.Lifeuk.Org/

tel# 01926 421587 / 311667 / 316737
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
diamond splinter wrote:
she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do tell her to contact life uk they will help her all she can and offer councling whatever her descion

i think shes in the usa.
|

User Profile
nataliachick7 wrote:
diamond splinter wrote:
she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do tell her to contact life uk they will help her all she can and offer councling whatever her descion

i think shes in the usa.

oops sorry I keep forgeting i'm on a dominantly u.S board Embarassed
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
She can contact a social service worker in her area. She has her choices and does not have to abort.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
She should call to some kind of social service teen pregnancy center and ask for help there. She is going to have it rough with her parents, i'm pretty sure they will threathen her really bad like kicking her out of the house if she wants to keep the baby and so forth.
|

replied September 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:
diamond splinter wrote:

i think shes in the usa.

also, they will not help "whatever her decision" as it's a pro-life organisation and will not offer neutral counselling (which is always a good idea when making this decision)
i wish her the best of luck, whatever she chooses
|

User Profile
moo wrote:
nataliachick7 wrote:
diamond splinter wrote:

i think shes in the usa.

also, they will not help "whatever her decision" as it's a pro-life organisation and will not offer neutral counselling (which is always a good idea when making this decision)
i wish her the best of luck, whatever she chooses

actually life uk will help her with any descion she makes they have helped women looking to abort a few times they point them in the direction of councling and of other clinics that have the resources they need .
|

User Profile
I agree with everone else, whether shes 18 or 14( im guessing shes in the usa too?) they have absolute no right to make her abort! Like everyone else said.Her body her choice. If they still try and make her, she can get one of those divorce your parent things. If you actually do do that in america.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Tell her if they try to take her to the abortion clinic tell them that she doesnt want to have it and she is being forced. Tell her to go to her school counselor and tell them what is going on and etc. I wish her luck, but my parents made me get one but this was years ago I hope things have changed for her sake
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
This is kind of a sticky sitiuation, I believe in the motto"my body my choice" but with a teenager different rules apply.

First hand the parent are her parent till she deemed an adult by law and then she can make her own desicions, the parents can actually fight this in a court of law as they are her guardians and unless she can deem her self an adult the parents can make their say.

Life sucks but the law goes both ways here and you need to understand the parents choice as well even if it is wrong morally, im hoping it doesnt go to court but like everyone else said she needs to talk to a counsellor.

Preferabbly she needs to talk to a social worker for childrens aid, they can pull her out and help become an adult as well provide what she needs as was written by both canadian and state laws.
|

User Profile
diamondsz wrote:
this is kind of a sticky sitiuation, I believe in the motto"my body my choice" but with a teenager different rules apply.

First hand the parent are her parent till she deemed an adult by law and then she can make her own desicions, the parents can actually fight this in a court of law as they are her guardians and unless she can deem her self an adult the parents can make their say.

Life sucks but the law goes both ways here and you need to understand the parents choice as well even if it is wrong morally, im hoping it doesnt go to court but like everyone else said she needs to talk to a counsellor.

Preferabbly she needs to talk to a social worker for childrens aid, they can pull her out and help become an adult as well provide what she needs as was written by both canadian and state laws.

how are the rules different for teenagers?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
[quote="diamondsz"]

the parents can actually fight this in a court of law as they are her guardians and unless she can deem her self an adult the parents can make their say.

[quote]

the parents have no say in this. They cannot tell her what to do with her own child and her own body. They do not own her body.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
[quote="nataliachick7"][quote="diamondsz"]

the parents can actually fight this in a court of law as they are her guardians and unless she can deem her self an adult the parents can make their say.

Quote:

the parents have no say in this. They cannot tell her what to do with her own child and her own body. They do not own her body.

they dont but then again she doesnt have to live with her parents either, there is ways around everything, yes it is her body but because she is a teenager and still under her parent law the can deem her unfit to have a child!

Ill get my sis to post on this tommorrow shes the one with the law degree if I can get her too
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
[quote="diamondsz"][quote="nataliachick7"]
diamondsz wrote:

Quote:

they dont but then again she doesnt have to live with her parents either, there is ways around everything, yes it is her body but because she is a teenager and still under her parent law the can deem her unfit to have a child!

Ill get my sis to post on this tommorrow shes the one with the law degree if I can get her too

just because she is a teenager and living with her parents doesnt mean she is unfit to be a mother. They cannot tell her what to do period. They can threaten to kick her out etc, but they have no say in what she does with her body. Im sure most of the people in the teen forum are teens and live with their parents, that doesnt make them unfit to be parents.

Unfit to be a parent is if you are a druggie, abusive, etc.
|

replied September 30th, 2006
The dumb teenager gets to choose whether or not she wants to keep the kid, but the parents have no choice in terms of whether or not they want an infant in their home...Go figure. I think that, since the teen's parents will most likely be paying for and caring for this child, they should have some kind of a say in the matter, especially if the girl is a minor.

But since the laws tend to always work in favor of the blessed mommy, I hope this girl's parents will have enough sense to boot her stupid, immature a** out the door. If she's mature enough to be a parent, then she's definitely mature enough to get a job and find her own place to live - working and paying bills is child's play (no pun intended) compared to real parenting.
|

replied September 30th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
cambion wrote:
the dumb teenager gets to choose whether or not she wants to keep the kid, but the parents have no choice in terms of whether or not they want an infant in their home...Go figure. I think that, since the teen's parents will most likely be paying for and caring for this child, they should have some kind of a say in the matter, especially if the girl is a minor.

But since the laws tend to always work in favor of the blessed mommy, I hope this girl's parents will have enough sense to boot her stupid, immature a** out the door. If she's mature enough to be a parent, then she's definitely mature enough to get a job and find her own place to live - working and paying bills is child's play (no pun intended) compared to real parenting.

no, I think the parents do have a choice; they can always disown their child and/or kick her out. Personally I agree, if the daughter thinks she's mature enough to care for a baby, she's mature enough to get a job and live on her own or - preferrably - with the father of the baby, unless he's an abusive dick. Hell, they should get married, in my book. They were "in love" enough to bring a screaming infant into the world together, they should spend at least the next 18 years of life together, raising their love child.
|