Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Pcos And Given Provera And Metformin?

Hello,

i just found out from my gyno that I have pcos and thats why I get my period like twice a year. My doctor gave me a prescription for provera and metformin. I know provera helps you have a period but I am bit confused what metformin does and can you ovulate on it? I will look it up on google. I was just wondering if anybody uses metformin too.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 27th, 2006
Experienced User
Metformin will help regulate hormones/insulin in your body so it can help return you to a normal ovulating cycle. It doesn't actually make you ovulate just gets your body back to normal so it can. At least that is how I understand it. I have only been on it for a couple of weeks so I can't tell you if it is working for me or not.
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2009
Metformin Expert on Meds (Pharmacy tech)
You have to give it sometime to work. I have been on metformin for almost a month. Just wait it will work soonr than you think.
|
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....