Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Wake Up Extremely Sad And Feeling Claustrophobic

Hi,

for the past month i've been waking up in the middle of night feeling extremely sad and caluastophobic at the same time. I suddenly wake up in the middle of night, feeling as if someone is squeezing my heart. The walls of the room seem to just keep collapsing on me and I have to get out of the house in panic. I take a walk for about 30 minutes and during this time I feel extremely dejected and sad and claustrophobic, yes even outside. I just cant seem to be at rest.

Last night it took me 1.5 hours to get back to bed and everytime I would lie down the feeling would return. I had to leave the lights on and drink a lot of water to be able to go back to sleep.

Any one having a same experience ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper finley1220
|

replied October 26th, 2006
Night Claustrophobia
I have been doing the same thing for about a month too! I don't get up and walk around though, I just lie there in a semi-panic. My heart doesn't palpitate, and I don't have your typical anxiety attack symptoms, I just wake up and feel like I should run and the walls are closing in on me. I don't feel terribly sad, but i'm certainly not happy. I've been doing some reading about this, and it appears this can be hormonal. I am a woman in my mid-40's, so this may explain my situation. If you hear of any ways to combat this problem, please let me know, and I will do the same.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
Night claustrophobia
Hi I'm 14 and a boy. And once when I went to bed I got the same thing but I wasn't sad, I just was annoyed that I couldn't get to sleep because when I looked at anything in my bedroom it was really close. I get it quite regulary now but I just get up and wallk around or sometimes look out the window and it goes. It seems slightly like a trans that I can get myself in and after a while out. I don't know what it is and I don't want to see the doctorr because he might think I'm a bit crazy
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Claustrophobic at NIght
For the last month I have been very claustrophobic at night and I get panic attacks. I am a 52 year old male with sleep apnea and I use a CPAP machine.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2011
Experienced User
Many times have the same feelings,so exausting,isn't it? I feel like i'm scared,in panic that something's wrong with me, something bad is going to nappen....so scary...
|
Quick Reply