Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Please explain staging for a local recurrence

User Profile
Please explain staging for a local recurrence. I have a 2nd local recurrence at the area of the original cancer and the first recurrence. I had a lumpectomy with radiation 15 years ago, and 10 years ago, a mastectomy with chemo and radiation. Also had a TRAM Flap reconstruction. This recurrence is in the chest wall near the sternum and the old scar site. There's no sign of metastasis after all the tests, the lump was about 1cm but didnt' have clean margins. The cancer is ER/PR positive, HER2 negative, grade 3. I am getting ready to start a weekly Taxotere with concurrent radiation.

My oncologist says he can't stage this. My radiation oncologist says the staging doesn't change from the original diagnosis. The original was a stage 1, but the first recurrence was a stage 2. I've read that any cancer at the chest wall is a T4, which is staged as a IIIa or b.

Can you clarify this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2006
Breast Cancer Answer A1580
T4 indicates that the tumor has infiltrated the local structures: skin (above) or chest muscle (under). If you have received a T4 diagnosis, the stage is at least IIIb.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Understanding the process of aging and its effects on the body can help us protect our health. But what is aging? And what can we expect as we age?...
Learn how genetics and time play a role in the aging process. Plus, information on how to avoid certain risk factors of aging and how to have a long life here....
The body deteriorates over time. But which systems are affected and how? We take a look at effects of aging on different processes and causes here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.