Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Arrythmia: doctors mentioning a catheter ablation before dia

User Profile
Hi everyone!
I am a healty 32 year old woman that for the past 2 years I have had these shortness of breath attacks that literally last for a split second. Although they last for that short second, I am fully aware of when it happens. It is actually kind of scary. For the past few months I have had three of those attacks which actually lasted a little bit longer than the usual ones. With these 3 attacks I had an extremely fast heart beat that was accompanied by lightheadedness and I felt like I was going to pass out at any moment. This lasted for about a few minutes. I went to the cardiologist and he did an ekg, stress test and an echocardiogram of which they came back ok. He suggested that I have a cathetar ablation. I set the procedure last month but didn't show up because I was scared of the invasive procedure. I went for a 2nd opinion and he told me not to have it done. Yesterday I went back to the 2nd doctor and I explained to him that this is still happening to me. Now he is also talking about this ablation. This arrythmia that seems to be happening to me has never been recorded on any of these tests of for the monitor they gave me so I don't know what to do. Has this ever happened to any one of you that is reading this or anyone that has had an arrythmia ...Can you feel it in your neck where the pulse can be felt instead of your chest accompanied by the shortness of breath? Should I have this ablation? I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks, mya101

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2006
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A1575
A catheter ablation is a treatment procedure, not a diagnostic procedure. It is used for treating various types of arrhythmia, mostly supra-ventricular arrhythmias, but it can also be used to treat ventricular arrhythmias. You can’t use a catheter ablation without any record of an existing arrhythmia. Arrhythmia has to be first proven and then treated. Diagnosis is done using a holter device to monitor and record the heart rhythm for 24 hours. If an arrhythmia shows up, it will be recorded by the holter apparatus. Then you and your physician can consider possible treatment options according to the type of arrhythmia idnetified (including a catheter ablation).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Your heart can skip a beat - but when does this become a problem? Learn about arryhthmia basics, including types of arrthymias and ...
External triggers or medical conditions can cause a heart arrhythmia. Learn the major causes of arrythmias and how you can protect your heart here. ...
Some symptoms of arrythmia are common. Others are more serious. Learn to tell the difference and know when you should ask for medical help. More here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.