Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

3 months with no period & pregnancy test is still negative..

User Profile
i have been skipping my period for three mths now. the last time i had sex was in the middle of june. at first the guy did not have a condom on he went in me and came out immediately....My period was due on the 24th of june and it did not come. However, it spotted twice in July on the 9th and 29th. At first i was not concerned until i realised i actually did spot the first time.As a result of this i bought a hpt which came out negative. the second time i spotted i took another test which also came out negative. Until the end of august i would have taken 5 pregnancy test in all. They all came out negative but i still have no period. Being worried i went to the doctor at my university this week where she gave me another pregnancy test making it six test in total. Again it came out negative. i am really worried and needed to know if i can be pregnant. The doctor i went to asked me if i am under stress and i told her yes with my family and relationship.My period has always been irregular it is always a week or two late and i have skipped two mths when i was younger. Can you please reply to my question i am really worried. The doctor at the university put me on provera. She said that after three mths if i took a pregnancy test it would have shown up if i was in fact pregnant. Is this true?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2006
Pregnancy Answer A1574
It seems that you are not pregnant because 6 pregnancy tests have shown up negative. Three months are more than enough for a pregnancy test to indicate a pregnancy or not. According to the symptoms you report (missed periods, spotting), you might be experiencing a functional, hormonally active ovarian cyst that can inhibit menstruation and cause cycle irregularity. You will need an ultrasound examination to confirm an ovarian cyst, if there is any. Functional cysts usually disappear spontaneously after 2-3 missed periods. Oral contraceptives (provera) can be used to recover the menstrual cycle.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.