Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Dysmenorrhea: how can I treat painful periods without painki

User Profile
Since i was 17 yrs old my ovulation gets very painfull.
Every month i used to consult doctors, what they do is.Make a urine & blood test & give me a pain killer injection.
I went on like this for 2 yrs & still evey month it was the same, so i decided to change my doctor.

My new doctor asked me whether i was having any sexual afair with anyone but than still i was a virgine, my period were normal (7 days).First month i didnt get the pain i was so happy thinking that it was over,but the next month i got the same pain.

Now i have stopped taking pain killer injections cause i dont think i can go on like this any more. Some how i just go on with the pain without any painkillers.
The pain is really bad it makes me cry every month & it last like one day or 20 hrs.
Please isnt there any way i could get rid of this pain instead of taking those injections

Thanking in advance

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: tameka2 

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Getting Pregnant Answer A1571
It seems likely that menstruation is causing you pain, not ovulation. Every menstruation is more or less painful but during painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea), the pain is so severe that it disables a woman to perform her everyday activities. Dysmenorrhea can be either "primary" or "secondary".

Primary, or idiopathic, dysmenorrhea has an unknown cause and is typical for healthy, young women. It is believed that during menstruation there are higher amounts of prostaglandin that can cause uterine contractions. Secondary, or symptomatic, dysmenorrhea is caused by other diseases such as: premenstrual syndrome (PMS); stress and anxiety; endometriosis; pelvic inflammatory disease (PID); sexually transmitted diseases; fibroids; ovarian cysts; intrauterine Device (IUD) etc.

Primary dysmenorrhea is usually treated with non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID): aspirin, paracetamol, ketoprofen, diclofenak, ibuprofen etc.

Alternative (home) treatment may include: applying a heating pad to your lower abdomen (below your belly-button); taking warm showers or baths; drinking warm beverages; performing a light, circular massage with your fingertips around your lower abdomen; walking or exercising regularly, including pelvic rocking exercises; starting a diet that is rich with complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, but low in salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine; eating light but frequent meals; practicing relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga; trying vitamin B-6, calcium, and magnesium supplements, especially if your pain is from PMS, and keeping your legs elevated while lying down or lie on your side with knees bent.

In secondary dysmenorrhea, the primary disease has to be treated.

You can visit a gynecologist to identify what type of dysmenorrhea you may be experiencing.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.