Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Right sided temporal headaches: Aneurism or something else?

User Profile
For about a week and a half, I have had strange right sided temporal headaches. It began with a bad headache on the top right side of my head, and was relieved by laying down and worse upon standing up/movement. The bad headache stopped, but now an intermittent right sided temporal headache remains, with some dull pain in the area of the first headache. The pain seems to be right around the superficial temporal artery, and that artery seems sligthly more swollen, and is quite tender to the touch and induces a dull pain when i touch it. Sometimes a jolt of sharp pain will hit in the area.
Symptoms that I did have but are now gone are extreme pressure in the right side of the head, and dizziness and a slight cold. An E.R. dr. said i had fluid in the ear and prescribe amoxicillin, which i have been taking for 6 days.
I am scared of an aneurysm, but the E.R. dr. did not think an MRI was necessary, however a CT of the head was given. Something that could possibly be of help is that I drove from MN to FL 3 days before this all began and there is a huge change in weather, humidity and pressure. Not sure if it's related though. Is it possible this is an aneurysm, or what else could it be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Headache, Migraines, Sinus Conditions Answer A1559
According to the symptoms you describe (headache in the temporal region), and your pre-existing condition (TMJ)... you could be experiencing TMJ-syndrome or inflammation of the middle ear. Fluid in the ear indicates and inflammation in the beginning of the middle ear. You can check your blood pressure and compare it between standing and laying down positions. Blood pressure decreases when standing up; this may also cause a headache.
It doesn’t seem likely that you have an aneurism which affects the arteries of the brain. An aneurism of the brain's arteries, in most cases, has no symptoms before a rupture occurs. In case of rupture, an aneurism manifests dramatically (headache, vomiting, lose of consciousness…) and it is life threatening. Aneurisms can be confirmed and localized only via cerebral angiography. A CT-scan can’t confirm an un-ruptured aneurism.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.