Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Simple Partial Seizures: Can 13-year abort Medications?

User Profile
If my 13yrold's simple partial seizures are only "deja vu" and nothing else, does it need to be treated with medication? If it gets worse or expands out to a complex seizure, I can understand medication, but I am leary of using meds for something as simple and frequent deja vu. They make occur once a day without losing consciousness or other physical symptoms. She can talk, do things with her hands and even "will" the annoying reminiscence feeling away withing 2 seconds. They are infrequent if she is well rested and well-fed. If teens outgrow this anyway, what benefit would there be to the meds?

Thank you,
buffyangel (a worried mom)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Epilepsy Answer A1557
If there is no organic cause for epilepsy, it is treated with medications no matter the type and/or severity. Medications should inhibit seizures and make them more rare. You mustn’t abort the medical therapy for your daughter without a professional opinion from a pediatric-neurologist.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.