Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

"pinning Back Ears" Question. I Need Advice...

Obviously this is something that is very personal to me and obviously this is a problem with ridicules. I have had a problem with all the "jokes" and this has caused me to become very very self conscious. I wear my hair longer at the sides to help "hide" the ears to which I do not like. It's sad and nothing anybody can say can change my feelings and genetics that have been placed on me. I have mentioned to my mother when I was 10 years old'ish about ear surgery and she said it would be possible if I really wanted it...But I was afraid of doing it. Im 18 now and I have totally changed in every area except this. I am more intelligent that I ever dreamed of being(considering I was basically a stupid unintelligent moron until at 16). This is mainly to with the fact I moved from england to america. The funny thing that I noticed....Was that since moving here 3 years ago, nobody has ever said anything. I just could not, and still cannot believe it considering almost every day I would get ridiculed in england. But the tormet and pain it caused me wont go away.

Sorry im rambling...

Basically, I fear for my future, female relationships and my career. I want to go into teaching, but I cannot do it with my current feelings. I will drop the career I can see it now after a while of those "idiot" students who will make the smartass comments that they think you didnt hear, or the pictures of the teacher being passed round. I cannot and will not let this affect my career. I am so self conscious that I dont think I can take it much longer. Not because of people's comments as there have not been a single one in the past 3 years(no I am not exaggurating my ears. They do stick out and I am so confused why nobody has said anything. It took me over a year to tell my girlfriend about this subject and she is the 2nd person I have ever told). I hate my hair long and I cannot stand it. But I cannot have it cut short as it makes me feel even worse. A few times my hair has been cut too short due to retarded hairdressers and I was covering my face and looking down to everybody and I just wanted to go home for the few weeks til it grew out a little bit. It seems like an obsession, but its deeper than that.

If society were not so focused on conformity, there would be no problem. But for the average worker, conformity is the only way to have any chance of a good salary and a happy life...Its sad but its the truth.

Ok this is getting too long...Sorry.

Basically my question is about timing. I am too afraid to get it done during high school as people will notice what happened. Its not something subtle. I am considering getting it done after high school (i am a senior right now). I have looked into the costs and I am trying to save up (half way there right now). Its a lot of money, but that money will be reimbursed through a higher paid job because I am more self confident.

I cannot get it done during high school, I couldnt have people looking at me funny. My last problem is family. Obviously they will see the difference and I will be embarassed as they will...I cant even explain it you can imagine what families would do (either ridicule or feel sorry for).

I am too afraid to speak to my dad(who I live with right now, my mother is still in england) about it because its something so personal for me and he has his own problems to deal with. He is very supportive and im sure he would offer to pay for it, but I cant do that. Its something that I am intent on doing and its not something that he should be burdened with.

I dont know when to get it done basically and I need some advice. And I needed a little outburst as everything is inside of me...

If you read all of that congratulations you have a lot of spare time on your hands...

Thanks, john
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank cantstand for this post: MommyBear 

replied July 14th, 2010
same with me...
|

replied July 14th, 2010
k well i got it done and the recovery is LONG!!, no one notices you even get it done, it does hurt but thats why you have pain killers... get it done in the summer caus there is swelling and you have to wear a bandage for a while
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Pin back ears
o it is free??
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
yea its free if ur under 18 in canada anyways
|