Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Permanent Panic/anxiety From Marijuana? Please Answer (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
First off I want to say that marijuana isn't the devil, if used properly and under control.

I chosed to be a "addict" I wasn't addicted to it the way I am from cigarettes and other people to other drugs...

For me it all started right before I turned 15, a friend introduced me to marijuana, the first 2-3times I smoked it, I had no problem whatsoever, I didn't even feel high.
Ofcourse this is completely normal.

Then the 4th time, I smoked more and I guess my body was ready to "accept" the high.

It hit me like a thousand pounds, I was so high, I didn't even realize what was going on. I remember being terrifyed and having all these images rushing through my head.

Everything felt so weird and foreign, even though I was in a secure and well known environment.

I guess this was a panic attack, I accepted it as me just being scared of the high, the next times I smoked I had nothing like this and I got completely inlove with this herb.

My life was falling apart in every direction with parents, girlfriend, school and other personal things, I needed something to escape through.

I turned 15, and started smoking seriously, there wasn't room or time for anything else in my life, this was the only thing I wanted.

I gave up friends, food, school and everything.

People will tell you smoking a joint a day is way too much, well I smoked 20 joints everyday.

When I woke up, I had already rolled a joint ready to smoke the night before, so I could get high before I got out of bed, take a shower, and smoke some more 'til night when I passed out from smoking so much.

I probably consumed around 3 grams a day everyday for 2 years.

Then for the first time I didn't have any for 2 days, this was going fine, no craving or abstinence at all, like I said, I chosed to do this 100% on my own, I wasn't "addicted" like you get from cigarettes, I just wanted to escape through this high.

Then after the 2 days I smoked again, and was struck with a panic attack so bad it left me shaking on the floor for hours thinking I was dying.

After that I had fullblown panic attacks 10 times a day for 6months.

Everyone who's had a panic attack knows there nothing in this world more terrifying than that. It's like sitting on a plane and hear the pilot scream on the speakers were going down.

The world started looking weird, I was depersonalized/derealized for months.

I know this is psychological and the more u think of it, the worse it gets.

I managed to get "over it" on my own and didn't have more panic attacks for 2-3months.

Then I started having these panic attacks popping out from nowhere, manifesting me, leaving me in incredible panic and fear again, also felt a little depersonalized and derealized.

It happens only maybe twice a week, but it keeps me from getting a education, and experiencing things.

I rarely go out in fear of having a panic attack, which I often get if i'm away from home for more than 20 minutes, I don't feel safe. Like the world has changed, even if it is the same:p
i know this sounds completely nuts, but it's the truth.

I need someone who's experienced something similar and got through it and got their life back.
Please, someone answer me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mrwhat
|

replied September 17th, 2006
Any one?
|

replied September 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey whats up man. My story is pretty much the same as you with a couple of different turns. I smoked about as much as you started when I was like 12 then about at 13-14 started everyday the more I smoked the more it was too gettting high was fun.

I can relate too as the first couple of times not getting high then getting real high lol what a trip.

Neways I quit smoking aftre a bad trip and as u say acouple of days aftre I had a sober bad trip that freaked me out I dint what was anxitey attacks.
I struggled for months eith dp the world was so strange.

It went away after a while but still would get them like once a month and I remained axious about my health for the next 7 years.

Then I sarted getting them again but worse 100 worse everyday and still to this day I have troubles getting out sometimes.

Its gettting better with a little therapy and talking to people and not being afraid. You can get better too dude.
|

replied September 19th, 2006
Hey dude what's up.. I'm 20 years old and i've basically experienced what you're going through, maybe mine was even a little worse. I'm sure you can get your life back and you're probably not as bad as you think are. You just can't give up.

Let me start by telling you some things about myself. I was an only child, I had a lot of friends, and I wasn't a loser, my parents were really passive, I still love them, but they were stille really passive, I never got "a talk" from my parents. My girlfriend and I broke up after 2 years of a serious relationship, and I was alone at a new school, my life wasn't horrible, not by any means.. I just smoked weed for the heck of it really.. Sometimes i'd smoke for fun and other times i'd smoke to take my mind off the things that got me down.. I started smoking daily, more and more as time went on, for about 9 months. I was smoking the dank too.. 60-70$ an 8th shipped in from pennsylvania. I smoked every day for 9 months.. Sometimes with friends and sometimes by myself. Then one day something just sort of happened out of nowhere, I began having anxiety attacks at night. They were terrible.. I would get paranoid about the littlest things and overanalyze things and my mind would just race.. It was bad. I then realized that this was probably happening because of weed.. So I decided to quit.. 100% on my own, with an "i don't want to do this crap anymore" attitude.

Things were bad at the time.. Especially when I quit.. They weren't right away but as a few weeks passed and then months.. I started experiencing slight depression and anxiety and depersonalization, where I would be very anti-social and very anxious around everyone, even my parents.. There was a point where I didn't want to leave the house, I was like that for about a week. I had problems with stuttering and would get confused with words.. Yeah.. It sucked..

I've talked to a few counselors and my parents and a few friends about what I went through, and was going through.. And they all basicallly said the same things.. Some of it helped.. Some things that helped me the most were talking to people you can trust about it.. I'm not saying spill everything at their feet on every conversation.. But find someone you can trust.. And sort of free your soul.. Get it all off your chest. If you find someone you can trust they will try and help you, they may not act like they want to hear it, but they'll understand. So talk to a few people about it and it will help, another thing is it's going to take time, mentally and physically, you're body's not use to being weed free.. So be patient, take your time with things.. Learn to relax.. If you have an anxiety attack or feel one coming on.. Take a deep breath.. And slow down and talk to yourself calmly.. :: on a side note I had an anxiety attack last night.. Out of nowhere, I hadn't had one in about 2 months.. The first thoughts I thought were.. "this is stupid.. I'm not even worrying about anything why is this happening." so I got up and did some laundry and cleaned up my room a little bit and layed back down and fell asleep in 5 minutes.. Learn to relax in a stressful situation, but don't avoid them or be afraid to put yourself in one.

The jist of it is it probably is in your head, you just need to focus on life rather than your problems.. Some things you can do for that is to hang out with friends, study, help out a friend, start a conversation.. Just do things that help take your mind off your anxiety.. I would recomend staying away from drugs and alcohol for a while too.. Yeah your friends might give you the rasberries and call you a puss, but you gotta do what you gotta do man.. Hang around comfortable and confident people, have fun.. One big thing for me was I stopped getting on the internet and reading about anxiety.. That was a big one for me.. Just try not to think that you have anxiety.. And you'll be suprised.. "if a man thinks he is, then he probably is." a great quote and so true..

You'll be fine dude.. Hope this helps
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Im also 20 with the same story & i've experienced the same symtoms, ive done extensive research on the subject and came to this conclution: Anxiety and panic attacks are all about worrying right? so you have to ask yourself what am i worrying about? this is a difficult question to answer especially when presented to oneself but with the right attitude & a little meditation you may find you have nothing to worry about at all. If you keep this mindset & compare your situation to other's it can help you let go & move on with your life.
|

replied September 20th, 2006
G'day

i am going through the same crap at the moment I am 5 months into quitting and still have bad anxiety but the worst of it is over. My main problem is that I am hgaving trouble sleeping. I am 26 and was smoking for aboout 10 years everyday.

The best advice I can give you is to do some exercise daily and stay of drugs and alchohol for a few months. Drinking was the worst for me it would almost definitly trigger a panic attack the next day after a big night out.

It will take a fair while to get better mentally so dont worry if you still feel like crap a few months after you quit.

All the best
|

replied September 24th, 2006
Thanks for all the responds, helps a lot.
Anyone of you ever worried that you was turning crazy? Like schizo or something?
I've been worrying about this for months and I can't shake the thought of it from my head
|

replied September 25th, 2006
Hey I have experienced that as well, it eventually went away. Don't let your worries keep you from doing daily things. Like the person above said stay off drugs and alcohol because they can trigger anxiety. I thought I was a schizo sociopath you name it for a while and it kept me from going out. The more you go out and do simple things the less time you have to worry about it. It's gonna take time but you will eventually get better if you take care of yourself and do things right.
|

replied September 26th, 2006
Eventhough i've heard it from a few other people on other boards and with conversations with doctors etc. That going schizophrenic etc. Is a common fear from panic it still feels incredible to hear it here too.
I've been obsessed with the thought of going schizophrenic the last year, and by reading about all the symptoms I feel I get more n more of them.
The "reefer madness, marijuana triggers schizo" isn't really helping my cause as my panic was triggerd by marijuana.
So how long did it take for you to convince yourself you were normal and regain your life?

Thanks so much, it's really helping.
|

replied September 28th, 2006
Yea m8 I think I am going skits to. But my mum n dad both got shicophrenia or somthing so I kinda got a excuse but then again it all start after I start smoking canabis, first I thought it was the canabis to but then I stoped n now feeling worse than eva b4 and I keep getting panic attacks and everything to.

Worst feeling in the world aint they, expecailly when your doing loads of stuff in tht day n ave a panic attack while in a class, !**@! u rite up n everytime u go into a class u get scared of getting 1 then u get 1
|

replied September 29th, 2006
Yeah I kno exactly what you mean man.
But I can't go schizo, my life can't be over already....
I deny it...
U got msn?
|

replied September 30th, 2006
Nah dnt think am going skits accully n I dnt think your going tht 2, all am gunna do is try n wait n c if it passes. Just get on with me normal life and try n forget bout it.

I just came on here to see exactly what I did have and if it wa anxiety and does it last forever. Its probably worse for you seen as u smoked longer than me but if your going thro the same thing then I dont think were going skits.

Also I found weird I do accully match symtoms of shicophrenia and anxiety. But as I also read somwere anxiety can also mimik or somthing your worst fears
|

Oo and I forgot to add thts probably why I thought I had cancer once. Was having a heart attack b4, wen sum1 said bout a broken leg I evan thought I had tht 2. I am only 17, workout everyday (unless I have a anxiety attack or wot eva its called at the gym which has happend several times then I will stop going for a few days but as soon as I go back I start feeling great again.

One advice thats helping me is working out. Doing cv work, but dnt over do becuase that will make worse. Tea makes it worse, alcohol does 2.

That the same for u??
|

Anxiety & Stress
I don't care what drug it is! Once you start u are never the same. Perspectives seems to blossom & the world is your oyster! That may seem all fine & dandy with whatever you are game to keep track of or focus on at the time but you lose reality. If not so then why such chaos with life & the family even more so if you are the black sheep to begin with. Things fall apart but they are not as important than cash for the next bag or the next sale so your stuff is free. So you think. Over time control is so far out of reach. Why not panic. Why not the desperation. Is it not natural for us to want control. As children we did the same. Our strut & passive faux reality dictated the differ. Then a moment. The moment. It is different for each, but the same. The depth is not measured by feet beneath the feet, but by your moral code. How deep that runs varies. A heart attack to some may be a chip on the shoulder to others. You may find yourself testing how many hits can you take before finding yourself in a fetal position praying to god. You may not. I did. I am a result of my drug abuse. I can blame no other but me. I am not the same as the person who saw a joint for the first time. I stole, I lied etc, etc to get "high". Afraid? Always. That is the price I pay. We never see the price till its time to pay. It is paying we do not understand. It is paying that I am afraid of. To admit to. To be responsible for. I put the joint to my mouth. I rolled my first joint. "no" will always be an option. It's power! May not be seen at that moment, but now "no" is so strong! I wonder how my life would, lets say flex, in this world if I said "no". I am getting better at facing my fears. That is the reality of it. Indeed! Think of of who or the situations you influenced then. Seriously! It will hurt your heart. Do not be afraid! Share your story. Keep others from our path. It may not be right away, but at some point what you say will make sense to someone. It will.
|

replied October 1st, 2006
Ermm I think your a bit wrong becuase I no a lot of people that come out of drugs fine just had trouble quitting, just some of us come out with a mental problem, there the ones u hear about. Also I bet u could find a accual diagonise for your difficultys u experiencing just first reaction is that its the drug.

I have found a few sites about anixety that may help

Panic-attacks.Co.Uk/panic_course_contents. htm

just have a lil read they are accully pretty helpful to relise about anxiety n got gd ways to help beat it on the second one.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
I understand completely.
There was nothing I loved more than weed. I loved the attention/admiration I got from being the only female outsmoking all the boys at the party. It was a regular occurrance for me to smoke about an eighth a day on a regular basis. It was this way from age fourteen to about twenty, and I never touched other drugs. I don't even drink. A couple months prior to my twentieth birthday, I couldn't blow a couple hits before I'd get what I had assumed was a panic attack. I tried all the tricks. Calmly telling myself it's in my head, deep breaths, a walk by myself, a hot cup of tea, nothing could stop my pounding heart, nausea, vertigo, and shortness of breath. I've since stopped smoking all together, and I do miss it terribly. Since, I've had troulbe with my appetite and sleep schedule. I get so jealous when I see all my friends mellow and enjoying their good time, knowing I can no longer do so myself. But, I figured it was best for me to stop, because it was rather apparently that my body wanted it no longer. It sucks, definitely, but that was my only option.
|

replied February 27th, 2009
Panic Attack from Weed
I have been smoking pot for 25 years now. I am 42 years old and I can tell you that I have never had a panic attack up until a week ago. Mine was exactly like everyone else has explained. Racing heart and panic like nothing I have ever felt. After reading tons of stuff on the internet, I have formed my own opinion and maybe this will help some of you feel better. I believe that the panic attacks are mostly a mind game. Your mind is certainly a powerful thing and I found that out after having 4-5 panic attacks in one weeks time. You really have to be strong enough in you own mind to fight it off once it starts. This is exactly what I did and now I refuse to believe that it is anything but in my own head. I guess the only question that I have for myself is this--Why after all this time smoking did it happen now? I guess that the strength of pot could be getting so much stonger that it may make you more parinoid and that my lead to a panic attack. The pot of today has got to be 5 maybe even 10 times stronger that the pot of 10 20 years ago. My advice is to slow down and take it easy maybe take a break from pot untill you get your confidence back. I still think that it is mostly in you head.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
i agree completley you feel trapped in the place you used to love terrified by one day it all disapearing and you dont know when itll end maybe its all a dream we dont know. i m going throught this as we speak its very un pleasant
|

replied December 10th, 2009
hey man, i been the same way ever since i quit weed.... i have a post up about anxiety but didnt say anything about smoking. I loved weed my life evolved around it everyday even before school id fire a joint up. My summer was a complete daze evryday i would smoke joint after joint. If i wasnt high i would get depressed. Now ive quit for a month. I had a few hits a while ago and had a terrible panic attack. Either i should have never gotten invovled with weed or i shouldnt have quit lol but i think i shouldnt have ever started in the first place. Cuz now i have anxiety everyday, and yes im a girl... i also was the only girl who would be with the guys token it up. But anyways now u got me started to think this is all from weed.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
oh and also i been feeling like im living in a dream. Sometimes i feel like im going nuts all from this anxiety. any tips on how to get rid of it???
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I stopped weed too because of a panic attack. I had been smoking weed for 10 years since i was 17. I stopped smoking in october of 2009 after my panic attack. I recently tried smoking some and my heart started racing and I felt uncomfortable like I'm gonna panic. So I know how it feels to smoke all day everyday to all of a sudden BAM panic attack and then your world changes. I enjoy a few beers now but don't drink too much because I feel anxiety the next day. I wonder why it's so hard to just never touch weed again? I feel depressed at times because I'm still adjusting to not being high anymore. But things have gotten better. But as soon as I feel good I get this urge to want and get high. But I'm leaving weed in the past my mind can't take it anymore I guess. Like someone said the weed nowadays is not the same it's really potent. But I do feel strongly that weed brings out anxiety issues and panic attacks. Weed alters your brain chemistry. So peace and take my advise things get better stay strong and pot free!
|