Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

Advice for Adoption

User Profile
Ok, I need some advice... My sister is 20 years old, and sh'e 2 1/2 months pregnant, and she's looking for some adoption stuff. Like how to get more info about it, and all that stuff. So if anyone knows anything, please let me know. Or if both parents has to sign for the adoption. And what are the rules about them both signing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You could always look in your local phonebook for an adoption agency ..Give them a call and maybe get some information about the whole process..Or even try to google adoption ..I have never went through that sort of thing..So I cant give you any first hand information..:(

hope you find what your looking for..
|

replied September 23rd, 2006
Adoption Info-
I know every state is different with it's adoption laws, but, I am adopted, and have also given up a child for adoption, I know that doesn't make me any sort of an expert, but I know a thing or two..Ild..

When placing a child for adoption, it is required that both parents sign, and give up their parental rights to the child.. The mother in question could easily say "father is unknown" but some agencies won't accept that.. If one parent doesn't sign, later on in the adopted child's life, the "unsigned" parent could easily come and cause a stink, trying to regain custody.. Which, would just be a nightmare for everyone involved..

So.. Yes.. Typicaly a signature from both relenting parties is needed to go forward with an adoption- I hope that helps..
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, this guy my sister is pregnant by, I guess he's kinda slow, and has seisures alot. He has two other kids, and can't have custody of them because of the seisures. If she wants to give the baby up, and he doesn't, and he can't have custody of the baby what do they do then? I don't know if you'll know the answer, but anythings better than nothing. The guys on ssi, and he only gets like 300.00 a month, plus he pays child support. So I don't know.
|

replied February 23rd, 2007
sherry24 wrote:
Well, this guy my sister is pregnant by, I guess he's kinda slow, and has seisures alot. He has two other kids, and can't have custody of them because of the seisures. If she wants to give the baby up, and he doesn't, and he can't have custody of the baby what do they do then? I don't know if you'll know the answer, but anythings better than nothing. The guys on ssi, and he only gets like 300.00 a month, plus he pays child support. So I don't know.

http://www.providentliving.org/ses/birthmo ther/wecanhelp/0,12266,2181-1,00.html
This website can answer some of your questions and you can call them to get more information. It's all free for the birthmom.
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Experienced User
oh jeepers... thats a handful. it might sound sly and a lousy thing to do, but perhaps if she were to find a couple that wanted the child, maybe she could state that man as the birth father on the birth certificate and then sign her parental rights over then. it might help to alieviate the costs because people would believe he is the rightful father. if anyone questions she can always say she had relations with multiple men, as long as she and the adoptive family know the truth, who cares. many adoption sites profile potential adoptive parents so she can pick and choose without commiting. im not sure if it will work or not, but look into it (and let me know Wink im looking to adopt up here in canada)

good luck
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Think about it.
Hey

I have been adopted and i think its a good idea if you or your friend really dosnt want the baby. However think carefully as sometimes parents can change their mnd when they first see their baby.

If you are not sure if you can look after the baby there are plenty of places were you can get help. I can help with advice and reserch if you need extra help. Just send me a message.
|

replied September 28th, 2008
She can contact the local adoption agencies and get more information. I do recommend that she speaks with more than one, to make sure its the right agency for her. They will give her details about the adoption process, explain open & closed adoptions, and even let her look at the type of families waiting to adopt.

Yes, she has to get the fathers consent for adoption. Like the other post says, if she claims she doesn't know the father, some agencies won't work with her (just because they legally need both parents to sign for it to be a legal adoption) Its easier for her if she can get his signature before hand, to avoid any problems.

Lori
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
many things also depend on what state she is in, every jusidiction has their own set of rules. and also, the nice thing about being the birth parent is that you can pick and choose most things about the adoption, and if one agency doesnt want to work with her, im sure another one will, she just has to look. i go to a site called "canadaadopts dot com" and it covers quite a bit of info for the birth parents as well as for prospective adoptive parents.
how is your sister doing anyhow? oh, and for the thing about not wanting to give up her baby when she see's it, most places allow a grace period for being able to change your mind, usually around 10 days. that is one of the things we are told to prepare for as adoptive parents, we all know the mother can back out at any time up until that grace period has expired.
keep us posted Smile
|