Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Brain tumor or Hypochondria?

User Profile
I have always had a fear of something being wrong with me. Here lately I have been dizzy, not like veritgo or can't walk just dizzy. I have went to nurmous doctors and they all say it is axiety. They do blood work, urine sample and finally did a ct scan all came back normal. I had previoulsy taken paxil and went back on it do to this. I read a ct would not show all tumor to get a mri (as I think I may have a brain tumor). can I get your advice. This has been happening for about 4 years now. It will completely go away for a year and then happen again. If it was a brain tumor symptoms wouldn't go away for a year and then come back would they?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2006
Anxiety & Stress Answer A1496
According to the symptoms you report (“fear of something being wrong with you”, atypical dizziness, numerous doctors’ visits with no results) it seems that you are experiencing hypochondria rather than some type of brain tumor. If you had a brain tumor, your condition would get worse in time and It doesn't seem that you would survived 4 years. You may request an MRI but it doesn’t seem likely that a brain tumor will be identified. Hypochondria is a neurotic disease where in a patient is preoccupied with hi/hers health and thinks that s/he has some incurable disease. If the MRI is ok, you might consider a visit to a psychiatrist for further treatment.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.