Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Testicular Cancer


I was looking over my testes earlier on when I got out of the shower and I noticed that when I lifted my penis up, and looked down on my scrotum from above I could see a lump to the left hand side of the sctrotum, a little bit higher up than the testicle.

It appears to be its own little 'blob' or mass within the scrotum, and does not appear to be attached to my testicles. It feels like soft tissue, and is nowhere near as sensitive to the touch as my testes are, although after squeezing it gently it did not feel that comfortable afterwards.... A bit of a dull ache down there, but was not very sore or anything.

I am worried that what I have observed might be testicular cancer.

To provide a better description of what im looking at, when I look at my scrotum from above, it is not symetrical. On one of the sides there is a lump above the testicle (a soft lump that is not attached to it). On this side my left teste is slightly higher than that on the right hand side.

The problem is that i'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid, because my grandma was just diagnosed with bowel cancer, and the guy who runs the local coffe shop I go to also just found out he had testicular cancer.... And i'm thinking I might just be me freaking out over that, and getting paranoid about things in my body that may have always been there. But I dont recall ever having noticed it until the last week or so. But then again, I don't know if i'd ever truly looked until last week when I found out my friend had testicular cancer.

Thankyou for any helpful replies.
I am 22 years old if that helps.

I'm sorry if a thread already exists for this. I had a look for one but didnt see a general thread for this topic.

Thanks again.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 9th, 2006
Please is there somebody who can help me?
I'm extremely worried about this.

I'm a bit of a worrier by nature, but the thought that this might be cancer is scaring the hell out of me..... :(
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 15th, 2006
Hi, sorry to hear about your condition. I know uncertainty can be a very frightening ordeal. In your case, it is difficult to determine exactly what is causing the lump, but a lump does not always indicate cancer. With testicular cancer, usually the lump will not be detached from the testicle itself, but will be a pea-sized or larger growth on the testicle or an enlargement of the entire testicle. Cancerous growths may or may not be painful and other symptoms may be associated with them. Ultimately, the only way to know for sure is to see a doctor because lumps should never be ignored. Your doctor will be able to examine you and if he suspects that it might be cancer, he might order an ultrasound of your scrotum. If the ultrasound does not rule out cancer, they will likely have to perform a biopsy to determine what the growth is. Testicular cancer is fairly rare, but it is the most common form of cancer for men your age. Fortunately, with recent advances in medical science, testicular cancer is extremely treatable, especially when caught early. Best of luck.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Slight testicular asymmetry is considered as normal due to variation in vascular supply. However, testicular ultrasound will be needed to sort it out.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Testicular cancer is actually rare, and can be treated successfully. Learn the basic anatomy and medical definitions of different types of testicular cancer her...
Age, body size and genetics all play roles in who gets testicular cancer. Are you at risk? Learn more about how to avoid testicular cancer risks and its causes....
Painless changes of the testicles can signal possible testicular cancer. Learn other signs and symptoms of testicular cancer, plus know when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.