Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Inflammation in Mouth, Dryness, and Pain when eating...

User Profile
Under my tongue to the right of the piece of skin that connects tongue to mouth I have a small red nodule hanging off. It is situated alongside what looks like a vein which is on each side of the tongue, attached to the under tongue surface. There is actually a hanging nodule on both sides but the right side (looking slightly more swollen) is causing sharp pain when eating or when mouth becomes dry and therefore nodule becomes stuck to tongue and is shifted.
Should this piece of skin/nodule be there? Can it be removed?
How can it be treated and what kind of doctor should I see?
I have noticed that I am producing and ejecting more saliva than usual, but immediately following eating or drinking I am getting extra dryness in my mouth-This is following a visit to the dental hygenist a week ago- is this connected?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Aamer
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2006
Dental Health Answer A1493
According to your description, you probably are experiencing inflammation of the mucosa around the opening of the common excretory canal of the right sublingual and submandible salivary gland. Inflammation can cause an edema to stick to the canal, prohibiting saliva from the right submandible and sublingual gland from draining. When eating or when the mouth becomes dry, the salivary glands produce more saliva. If the saliva can’t leave the canal, pain occurs. Inflammation can be caused by injury or when a small piece of food gets stuck in the opening. In this case, a secondary infection usually occurs because the mouth is full of bacteria. Oral antiseptics usually help in treating this condition. You may consult a dentist for an expert opinion and help.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.