Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

20 days with Dizziness, Pain in the throat and neck...what i

User Profile
3 weeks ago I started feeling as though something was caught in my throat. With in days I started having dizzy spells, weak right arm, chest pressure and pains in the upper part of my nack and lower head. I have had bloodwork, chest x ray, ekg, mri of brain, ct scan of neck, thyroid ultrasound. All showing nothing. I am so disoreiented sometimes. MY syptoms are a little better if I take advil every 4 hours. Has anyone ver had anything like this? I am so frustrated. This have been 20 days. No fever.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2006
Anxiety & Stress Answer A1458
According to the symptoms you outline (“something in the throat”, dizzy spells, weak right arm, chest pressure, pains in upper neck and lower head), and given all the negative medical test results (X-ray, MRI, CT-scan, ultrasound, blood-work)... it seems that you are experiencing a type of somatoform disorder. Somatoform disorder is a kind of neurotic disorder. Emotional problems can transform and evolve into somatic symptoms without any structural damage of the “affected” organ. For example: it is possible to feel chest pain and hard breathing without any lung or heart disease. Advil (ibuprofen) is a type of painkiller that can reduce headaches. You may consult a neurologist about the pain in the head and neck. If everything is ok, you can seek medical advice from a psychiatrist or another mental health professional.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.