Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Can Cancer spread via the Nerves? Can you give me a Prognos

User Profile
I am facing a 2nd recurrence - original cancer in 91 at 36 yrs, stage I, small lump. Had Lumpectomy and Radiation, tamoxifen for 3 yrs. . 1st recurrence 1996- Local. Stage II, Mastectomy/TRAM Reconstruction treated with Chemotherapy (Adriamycin and CMF) and Radiation.

July 2006 found a lump near the old scar around the outer edge of TRAM near the sternum. Diagnosed with recurrence - grade 3 invasive ductal carsinoma, sections of tissue show multiple iill-defined nodules within ghe fibroadipose tissue and skeletal muscle tissue. The nodules are composed of markedly pleomorphic cells arranged in nests and cords, Cells show brisk mitotic activity. Focal perineural invasion identified and skeletal muscle involvement present. benig over hair bearing skin. Strong positivity for pancytokeratin and GCDFP, negative for HMB-45. Tumor involves the inked cauterized surginal marin in several sections. Still awaiting HER2 and staging.

All of my CT Scans for abdominal, pelvic and chest, bone scan, brain MRI and chest x-ray show negatvie for metastasis.

I am still awaiting to see my oncologist, but I assume at the minimal I will need to go through Chemo again.

Questions:

Does this mean there is cancer in the skeletal muscle and possible spreading could occur through the nerves.?

Where could it spread to?

Can you give any type of prognosis on just the information I provided?
Is radation for the 3rd time even safe or possible?
If the TRAM is removed, what does a surgeon normally do with the area?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2006
Breast Cancer Answer A1454
According to the pathohystological report and results from the other image examinations (X-ray, MRI and CT-scan), it seems that there is only a local spreading of the recidiv breast cancer in the adipose and muscle tissue. Cancers can spread locally (“per continuitatem”) and through the lymph and blood vessels, but not through the nerves. Cancer can spread to any organ in the body. Giving prognosis for malignant diseases is the most unpleasant job in the medical field. Further therapeutic procedures (surgery, radiation, chemotherapy) depend upon laboratory results and a specializing doctor’s opinion (oncologist and surgeon).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.