Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

How can I be Calm and Collected in Public?

User Profile
Hi All,
I am new to this forum.I want to share my problem so that i can get rid of it.
My colleague has noticed about me that when i am giving some presentation,
talking with them my hands are trembling.They have pointed me many a times.
Also I feel that when I am talking to strangers,some new person,giving some presentation
I feel very nervous,my heartbeat increases and I loose my confidence.
I have experienced such type of behaviour from my childhood within me.
Smoking and drinking alcohol are not my habits.Can anybody suggest me
what is the cause of these symptoms?This behaviour brings shame to my personality.

Also nowadays I am taking some protein powder to increase my weight.
Will intake of this powder will increase this behaviour?

Please help me to get rid of this diseases.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2006
Anxiety & Stress Answer A1406
It seems likely that you are suffering from the neurotic disorder-social phobia (classified as F 40.1). Allopathic therapy includes medication and psychotherapy. Pharmaceutical therapy includes anxiolitics (benzodiazepines) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI). Two methods are used in the psychotherapy of this disorder: behavioral group therapy and practicing social efficiency. You can ask for expert help from a psychiatrist or other mental health professional.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.