Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Painful and Irregular Periods, Sterility, and an abnormal Pa

User Profile
In my early teen i had an irregular per. I would bleed heavy and have BAD cramps, and every now and then The pain would be so bad i couldnt stand, I would get a fever and vomite. The hospital couldnt find anything wrong, but my mom says she knows its cists just like she had. i had an oltrasound and it came up clean. I had a pap a and it came back funky, so i went to a specelest and she took a a pice of my cirvic ... She said i had pre cancers cells , but that it may clear its self up or it may go the other way... thats was about two years ago, my medical ran out when i turned 19, i went to planperent hood and got some birthcontrol and it worked well i didnt have back cramps any more and i was regular. ... Well Ive been off the pill for a good year now and no baby i had a really bad per. a wile ago i would sit down on the toilet and blood clots would almost gush out of me i figured it was because i stoped taking the pill and my body needed to adjust. I really want to have a baby but i'm really scared that that cant happen. i made an app. to a clinic but they cant get me in for another month for a pap. but i really want to know my chances of having a baby. please help... sorry about all the miss spellings i dont think i could prof read this and still send it, ... Thank you for your time , TES

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2006
Pregnancy Answer A1389
As I understand from your question, it seem that you have 3 problems: painful and irregular periods, sterility, and an abnormal Pap-smear (precancerous cells).

The first two conditions are probably related. Irregular cycles usually occur without ovulation and can be the cause of sterility. Irregular cycles can also manifest heavy bleeding. Birth control pills can help regulate menstrual cycles but will continue to lack ovulation. In fact, birth control pills and the hormones therein stop ovulation. The point is that after coming off them, the axis hypothalamus-pituitary gland-ovaries should spontaneously re-establish ovulation and keep menstrual cycles regular. It seems that in your, case birth control pills didn’t help. You can request hormonal examinations for all hormones that impact fertility (FSH, LH, prolactin, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, thyroxin) and check if you are ovulating, or not. If you aren't ovulating, then you can consider requesting ovulation stimulators (clomifen).

The third condition you mention might be taken very seriously. Precancerous lesions on the cervix (dysplasions) can transform themselves into a cancer sooner or later, depending on their level of development. You might take a Pap-test twice a year . If the Pap indicates dysplasion of grade II (mild) or III (severe), you can then request a cone-biopsy (conisation). You might be also checked for HPV-infection.

You may try to get pregnant only after you treat all cervical precancerous lesions!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.