Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Can I be pregnant with Heart Disease? ( tetralogy of fallot)

User Profile
I had operation from tetralogy of fallot 23years ago.now I am 24.All this years I had no problems,don't take any drugs,never.I feel fine.I swim,run,ride a bicycle,all of that.This february I was pregnant for 6weeks,and one doctor told me that I can't have baby and I had an abortus.Can I be pregnant with tetralogy of fallot?I heard that I could be in the hospital all 9months,could like that be better?How can I prepare for pregnancy,I heard about some nutricionist diet,is that good for me?Please tell us something about this!We don't know what to do since than.Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2006
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A1366
Pregnant women with heart diseases are classified in four(4) classes according to the brevity of their condition:
Class I – have no symptoms;
Class II – have symptoms (hard breading, cough, swelling) only during hard physical activity;
Class III – have symptoms during routine daily activities, and
Class IV- have symptoms in rest.
Pregnant women in class I and most of class II can keep their pregnancy and deliver normally. They need regular medical monitoring, 10 hours sleep during the night, 2-3 hours during the day and 1 hour after eating. They can work easier home works without hard labor. They should keep from infective diseases especially influenza, pneumonia etc.
For class III pregnant women, artificial abortion is recommended but if they want a baby very much then proper and early treatment of heart failure is necessary. The mother must be aware of the high risk she takes.
In case of class IV heart failure, the risk of mother’s death is so high that an artificial abortion must be done in the first trimester of pregnancy.
You can consult cardiologist and obstetrician for consideration of your heart condition and then you should decide if you are going to get pregnant and deliver, or not.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.