Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

What Is Medroxyprogesterone? Doc Gave It to Me And I'm Ttc? (Page 1)

Hello

i have posted lots of questions I know and thats cuz so much is happening and I have no idea what is going on with my body. I hate hormones :) ok I told my doctor that I want a child and I have really irregular periods. So he prescribed me medroxyprogesterone acetate 5mg to take for a week every month so I can get a period. But can this stop any ovulation from occuring if I should by fluke? Is this a contraceptive? Anybody ever go on it or heard of it before.

I am now seeing a new female doctor who actually explains stuff with me and I see her on friday so I will ask her too if I should continue taking it. I only took it once in may and it made me bleed for 2 weeks heavy and I spot off and on all the time since?

Just wondering if anyone has had to use it or knows any info on it. I will check the internet too.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mandy1988
|

replied August 16th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
It causes you to ovulate. It's more or less a fertility pill.

I was put on it to stimulate ovulation and a mentral cycle there after because birth control messed my period up.

It should help a lot with conception!!

Good luck!!

Sarah
|

replied April 12th, 2011
this is not a fertility drug!!!!!!! I am a nurse and that is progesterone. It is the hormone that your body produces when you do not become pregnant so that the uterus can shed its lineing, so that your body can then ovulate and atach to a fresh lineing. All it does its help regulate your period with hopes that you will ovulate. If your body does not ovulate, which can be tested with a blood draw, then most doctors will perscrive Clomid. Which induces ovulation by stimulating the folliculs in the ovaries.....Wish you the best of luck!!!!! I would still discuss any issues or questins you may have with your doctor.
|
Users who thank Jeaneiene for this post: Barnett2310 

replied May 24th, 2011
worried might b pregnant plz help me
ok since ur a nurse i have an important ? i have 3 kids a 6 yr old son 5 yr old son and a 1 yr old turning 2 on saturday may 28th with my 2 yr old prior 2 her i have also had 6 misscarriages and 1 illegal dnc when i found out about being pregnant with my daughter the obgyn put me on a progesterone he said my progesterone levels were so low he was suprized i was even pregnant so obiously that was prbly the reason 4 the miscarrages my obgyn/gyno put a rubberband around my tubes he said they didnt cut or burn them nemore so i just had the band put on i still have a 1 n 400 chance of gettn pregnant well after i had my tubes tied we waited like 3 months 2 have intercourse well so everytime we would have intercourse i would start my cycle it got 2 where id have em every month all month so now we hardly ever have intercourse my dr put me on medroxyprogesterone 2 help it he said that my uterus isnt shedding and that i wasnt ovulating no matter wat my bleeding was 2 take it neway so i have i was told 2 take a weeks worth of the pills every month 4 4 months i took my last horomone pill the 17th of may and i still havnt started i usually start the nite after my last pill of the month i started out a week ago haveing pain n my lower right side of my back if i would lay on any of my sides it feels like im dieing or my side is tearing off now im starting 2 have pains n the same spot on the right side of my stomache an it feels like a knot n it im also having alot of discharge and dont no why i dont have sex i take showers nstead of baths bcause i get alot of pelvic nfections with a bath im so worried an lost i dnt no wat 2 do should i b worried could i b pregnant or could it b somethingelse
|

replied January 6th, 2012
medroxyprogesterone
i took medroxyprogesterone 5mg that the doctor perscribed me because i went 3 moths without a period so i took the medication for ten days and i ended up pregnant but i did end up losing the baby when i was 8 weeks and two days it was on christmas so you can get pregnant while taking it its a proven fact even my doctor was shocked when it happened cause it does make you ovualate so good luck you all you ladies that are trying to have a baby
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Is it possible I'm Pregnant??
I was prescribed to take medroxyprogesterone 10mg for 5days. I started on Jan 14-Jan 18, 2012. Today is Jan 27th and my period hasn't come on yet. My ob/gyn told me if my period doesn't start in 2wks to come back in 2wks because something else could be wrong. I was already tested for PCOS and I dont have that. My questions are 1. if my period doesnt come on by wed(feb 1st) is it possible I'm pregnant because we are definitely ttc and been very sexually active? 2.how long after taking my last pill on jan 18th does the medication(medroxyprogesterone)stay in your body? I ask because I've been experiencing pregnancy symptoms....my nipples are very sore to touch and are hard more then normal,i have nausea on and off during the day,i have lower back pain that comes and goes,and its like one minute i'll be fine then the next i have heat flashes I'll be hot out of nowhere. My boyfriend thinks I'm pregnant too because his eating habits have changed, he's more tired and has been having alot of bowel movements. Any advice or feed back is appreciated.
|

replied May 10th, 2012
medroxyprogesterone effects/terotogenic drug exposure
In response to... is it possible i'm pregnant. I was being treated for amneorrea (not ovulating) taking medroxyprogesterone, and being treated for severe abdominal pain for almost 4 months. My breast started getting very tender and i exibited other symptoms of pregnantcy so I purchased a preg test (I had had 2 prior to that at Drs, also had a thourough examination and was told my cervix was purple and needed to have a period.) Sure enough I was pregnant.... all along. Come to find out I was 11 weeks 6 days. I was never counciled on the possible effects the medication would have on my baby, nothing was said besides "what?? you're pregnant?" Because of the terotogenic drug exposure my child was born with no pituitary gland, or pituitary stalk, very sm optic nerves (shes considered legally blind). She's now 7, been in and out of the hospital since birth, she does not produce any hormones, &has many other complications. Medroxyprogesterone is Very dangerous throughout pregnancy, many woman on it during the embryotic stage spontaniously abort. and if exposure is further along in the pregnancy the damage is to the growth and developement of the organ that is forming at that time. (wk 1&2, prenatal death. wks 3-7, major morphological abnormalities wks7-10 functional defects and minor morphological abnormalities (succeptability by embryotic&fetal wks ~3-16wks/central nervous system ~4-7wks/ upper limbs&lower limbs ~3.5-8.5wks/ Eyes, heart, lungs ~6-9wks/ Ears, teeth, palate &external genitalia ~9-16Wks/Brain) I would have given anything in this world to had known this information when i discovered i was 11wks 6days along..........
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
Medroxyprogesterone is NOT drug that will make you ovulate. It is a synthetic progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that your body makes naturally to help counteract estrogen and regulate the size of your uterine walls. When your progesterone levels drop normally it tells your body that you are not pregnant and therefore can shed your lining (get your period). Medroxyprogesterone is TYPICALLY given 2 times a day for 5 days or 1 a day for 10. When you stop taking it, your levels drop causing you to bleed. YOU CAN BLEED AND NOT OVULATE. Just because you have your period does not mean that you have released an egg or are getting ready to release one. The most common drug that CAUSES you to OVULATE is CLOMID.
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
i have a question... if while taking this medicine, are you able to get pregnant? me and my boyfriend are trying.. thanks
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Medroxyprogesteron (Provera) TTC
I was trying to conveive for a year and my OB prescribed this to me. If I don't take it, I don't have a period. The purpose is for it to induce a period with hopes I will ovulate after the period is over. So far I've been taking it for 11 months and no baby. I am in the process of confirming I have PCOS too. I've had 2 ultrasounds showing cycsts and I have the glucose test left to do. I will continue taking the medroxyprogesterone for 2 more months and at my yearly exam I hope she changes the medication and puts me on Clomid. My insurance will not pay for fertility drugs until I've been "trying" for 12 months. May will be 12 months --- I'm ready for the next step. It's been a very long and disappointing year.
|

replied January 25th, 2013
At jamiew000. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is a long and hard battle..
|

You should not be trying to get pregnant while on Provera (medroxyprogesterone). You should be using protection. Provera can cross the placenta and has been shown to cause birth defects. It will also bring on a bleed after you stop taking it, which in essence could make you miscarry
|

replied June 15th, 2012
provera 10mg
my doctor told me to take this but i told him that my mestration was for a month and I guess this pill will do is try to hold the bleeding when its supost to come right?
|

replied November 5th, 2013
i hope i am not too late to ask a question Smile...i have irregular periods and tenderness to my lower abdomen. i did an ultrasound and it showed i have polycystic ovaries.. i am taking antibiotics as well as medroxyprogesterone acetate. its been nine days since i have been prescribed those meds....is it safe to have unprotected sex while on antibiotics and the medroxyprogesterone tablets??????? well i had unprotected sex and am wondering if there is a possibility in becoming pregnant and is it safe??
|

replied January 24th, 2017
Hi, You seem to know what you are talking about...
I am 22 years old, heavy woman. I have been irregular ALL my life, even when I wasn't so heavy. Most doctors blame on the fact that I am overweight but like I said, I haven't always been this way. My gyno recommended I took provera 10mg for 10 days, 2 weeks later I got my period.... So it worked. Now my concern is, 3 months after I am getting my period every 2 weeks. Is that normal? Also, I am not trying to conceive, should I be on BC?
|

replied August 17th, 2006
Experienced User
So it could help? Well thats good news. You think it would help even if the dosage is 5mg? If that makes a difference? Thank you for replying
|

replied August 17th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
chantigeek wrote:
so it could help? Well thats good news. You think it would help even if the dosage is 5mg? If that makes a difference? Thank you for replying

i dont think she would know the reason or be able to justify the amount your dr prescribed but im sure your Dr. Does. When a Dr. Presecibes fertility meds they usually start off at the lowest dose and start increasing if no progress is made with that amount.
|

replied August 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Yea, emma's right. I don't know exactly what would help you or how the amount they have started you on would effect you.

But I do know that that medicne is prescribed to people who have trouble ovulating and it produces numerous eggs to help become penetrated by sperm!!

Good luck girl!!
Let us know!

Sarah
|

PROVERA IS NOT A DRUG THAT MAKES YOU OVULATE! It simply keeps estrogen in check and also helps you bleed or control the lining of your uterus. IT WILL NOT CREATE EGGS OR MAKE YOU OVULATE..
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Oh lord yes, i've taken it!! I feel for you, because I had wicked side effects the first three months that I took it. I felt more or less insane, couldn't concentrate, got mad very easily, was tired- pretty much my pms worst nightmare. I was on it for an entire year if you can believe that. The first time I took it, they gave me 10mg for 14 days. Again the second month, and then it was dropped to 10mg for 10 days every month after that. It didn't always work. For the year that I took it, I had 6 periods.

I was prescribed the drug to get my periods back to normal (usually had about 2 a year). The first month that I took it, I had an 11 day period. Very heavy! And yes, spotting in between then and the next.

One very weird side effect was that I was in a constant state of desire. Really. It pretty much kicked my hormones into hyper-drive, and even though it didn't work so well for me, it might for you. Good luck!
|

replied February 8th, 2008
"It causes you to ovulate. It's more or less a fertility pill."

This is incorrect! Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is not a fertility drug. It is a synthetic hormone (progesterone). If you have amenorrhea (lack of or inconsistent periods) it is likely caused by low levels of this hormone. So what this drug does is what your body would normally do if your hormones were normal:
Provera thickens the lining of the uterus and (in most women) facilitates the increase of other hormones necessary for ovulation. Progesterone does not cause ovulation; estrogen and other hormones do.
When you stop taking the Provera, the fall in progesterone levels causes the uterus to shed its lining and menstruation occurs.

Doctors prescribe it to women who are trying to conceive if they don't get a normal period because it facilitates a course of events in the reproductive organs that *should* cause ovulation.

If you are trying to get pregnant and have been prescribed Provera to induce menstruation, it might be helpful for you to pick up some ovulation monitoring kits. You can get one at the drug store that measures LH surge (a urine test). After the first day or two of Provera, do the test a couple times in the next few days to see if you are ovulating. You should ovulate 24-36 hours after the LH surge. Get to it with your sperminator when that LH spikes!

Another type of ovulation monitor is the saliva microscope. They're cheap ($30) -- you can order them online. They do not measure the LH spike; they measure an estrogen spike. (Both hormones spike when you are about to ovulate.) The estrogen level spike preceding ovulation lasts a bit longer and begins a sooner than the LH spike, and you can sort of measure it by observing your saliva in the microscope each day.

If you have your period 2-7 days after your last dose of Provera, then you are not pregnant. If this continues to happen every month, you might have problems with other hormones and your doctor will probably put you on Clomid, which is to stimulate ovulation particularly. In fact, you'll probably be on both because they work together to get all your ducks in a row.
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
Thanks MissyMod, that is exactly what I have been wondering. I have just finished taking Provera for 14 days and I started my period the very next day. I am hoping this is a good sign. I just read this so I didn't take any ovulation tests during Provera to see if I am ovulating. I did have blood tests done about a week ago and still waiting for my results from my doctor. My next thing to figure out if I am ovulating.
|

replied August 1st, 2008
HELP ME PLEASE I AM SO CONFUSED!!

Well i would love to call my gyno but frankly hes a total ass and rushed me off the fone to help older women with menopause and other crap when i could possibly be pregnant.

I take medroxyprogesterone acetate for my irregular periods (because w/o them I never get my period on my own) and I recently had to take the plan b pill because my boyfriend and i had an accident. Then I took medroxyprogesterone acetate 3 days later to get my period and im still waiting for it to come (its been 2 days "late"). Am I pregnant or is my cycle just screwey because of the plan b pill? Am i paranoid or should i go and take a pregnancy test? HELP ME PLEASE REPLY I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!
|

replied March 28th, 2009
ONE MORE QUESTION
My gyno didn't tell me how long to take these tablets before having a break.
I am also trying to fall pregnant and thought it was a fertility tablet so ty people your answers and questions have helped me learn a lot.
I have been given 100 tablets taking one every day around the same time but for how long?until all the tablets finish???
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
I was taking birth control for a year straight and once i stopped, my periods became abnormal. they would come every 2 to 6 months then all of a sudden it got down to one a year. im trynna get pregnant but my obgyn said i need to take medroxyprogesterone to get my periods to come back normal. i wanna know if this drug will eventually help me to concieve?
|

replied July 19th, 2009
what kind of side effects did anyone taking this medication get? I am constantly hungry and freaking out? my gyno prescribed t for me to get my period so i can start the pill.
|

replied July 21st, 2012
Taking 10 mg PROVERA ( MEDROXYPROGESTERONE) STILL NO PERIOD
Tired about an hour after I take the pill. Then I nap for an hour and then I am fine, 1st day off of after taking them for 10 days and I have been sleeping all day and I am still so tired.....But I have to keep going 3 kids and can not really lay around asleep all day.......Still no period 4 months now, I have my tubes tied and really do not wont anymore babies. But I still have no period, I am taking 10mg Provera for 10 days off for 3 weeks then take again for 10 days. So we will see if I get a period. I am almost ready to have a total Hysterectomy for real, then at least that way I will no why I do not have a period. So sick and tired of these hormone changes and snapping at my kids and Husband all of the time. I know they must be like Dang what is wrong with this women......
|

replied September 16th, 2009
medroxyprogesterone
I've been taking the pills for 8 days - have two days left of my first 10 day cycle. Was on bc for close to 10 years before getting off and trying to conceive with my husband. First period off the pill was five weeks late (5 neg home preg tests, 1 neg blood test), and my doc prescribed this. Didn't know to check for ovulation, but we've been pretty active this month anyway. Smile Hoping I'll either start my period this weekend or won't, and will be preg! Any other similar stories? How did it turn out?
|

replied October 29th, 2009
I was given medroxprogesterone acetate because my periods are irregular and I need to have a HyCosy. I stopped taking the drug 7 days ago and still havent come on so I did a pregnancy test and now I'm pregnant but worried that the drugs might course a birth defect or miscarriage. can anyone offer advice?
|

replied November 6th, 2009
I've also started taking MedroxyProgesterone. I'm on day 4 and have notice a temp spike. Could I be ovulating or could the pills be doing this? Should I continue to take them for the full 10 days? I've heard you can also just take them for 5 days if it's 10mg. Rx is for 10mg for 10 days.

If I am ovulating and become pregnant isn't this pill harmful to the baby?

Confused! What should I do?
|

replied January 11th, 2010
re: birth defects while taking provera
I'm in the same position... ttc and don't get my periods on my own..i'm on 5th day of 10 days of 10mg of Provera - I too am also worried about getting pregnant while on this medication due to possible birth defects it could cause.. do I stop taking or continue?!!!
|

replied January 13th, 2010
i got progesterone after my ovulation since progesterone is gestagenic. isn't this stuff in the same group?
|

replied January 16th, 2010
MEDROXYPROGESTERONE
I am ttc, and have very irregular menstrual cycles. Only 3 or 4 per year. I was told to take medroxyprogesterone for 10 days to stimulate a menstrual cycle. I was also told to take a pregnancy test prior to beginning the daily dose, because it could stimulate termination of an existing pregnancy. So, my thought is, unprotected sex during treatment will not result in a pregnancy, because after you complete the treatment, you are supposed to have a period. I think this is supposed to cause a sluffing off of the intrauterine lining, so i don't think an egg could attach itself to the uterine wall while on this drug.
|

replied February 6th, 2010
trying to get pregnant
I am on day 5 of medroxyprogesterone! Could I be ovulating??
|

replied February 21st, 2010
Is it okay to have unprotected sex when taking medroxyprogesterone for amenorrhea? Can you get pregnant taking this drug?
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....