Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

My Mother Has Cervical Cancer

User Profile
As some of you girls may know, I had a breast cancer scare a while ago which has thankfully been ok so far but now I have recieved some devastating news that my mother has the beggining stages of cervical cancer.

She had an abnormal smear a few months ago so they did a coloscopy where they examined her cervix under a microscope and took a small piece of it away to analyse. At the time the doctor said it will be nothing to worry about and just wait for the results.

Well today mum had a letter stating she has cin 3 which is severe abnormal cell changes where the whole cervix is covered and she is being rushed in at 10am on thursday to have a loop excision to remove all the cells.

They will analyse at the time if the cancer has spread and then we will have to see what will happen next.

Please if anyone has expierenced this or knows someone who has reply and let me know what happened. I'm posting it on the cancer forum too but I know you girls so I thought you may be able to help.

Thanks.

Becky xxx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Awww im sooo sorry to hear that...

We found out about 2 months back that my grandmother has breast cancer...She got her whole left breast removed last week and we have to take her to get her tubes taken out thursday before my interview..She is already in bad health and she went through the surgery just fine...

Just support her and let her know you guys are there and she will make it through..What kind of treatments is she going to go through..Or so you even know yet?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
She's just got to go for the loop exercision (sp?) on thursday. She has also tested positive for a virus (don't know what it is) but my friend said it could be hpv. What is this? Never heard of it before
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hpv is the virus you get that causes cervical cancer ...You can search google and it will give you great information about it..Alot of people have no idea what it is..I sure didnt until last year...All I know is that there is different strands of it and some women can have it and it be undetected on their paps test....Some strands cause the cancer...And then there are other strands that arent that harmful...But the best thing is to research because I might not be 100% correct..And plus you will be able to understand the whole concept better.. :)
|

Especially eHealthy
~*~jillian~*~ wrote:
hpv is the virus you get that causes cervical cancer ...You can search google and it will give you great information about it..Alot of people have no idea what it is..I sure didnt until last year...All I know is that there is different strands of it and some women can have it and it be undetected on their paps test....Some strands cause the cancer...And then there are other strands that arent that harmful...But the best thing is to research because I might not be 100% correct..And plus you will be able to understand the whole concept better.. :)

you are correct. It is the same virus that causes genital warts. Well, the hpv part. The strains that cause warts are considered lesser strains and the ones that cause cervical cancer are high risk.

Everyone should get tested for it, considering millions of people have it and will never know it. It does not cause cancer in every woman, but it can cause cancer in some women.

Women get pap smears every year to test for cervical abnormalities - people tend to think they are tested for stds when, in fact, they are being tested for pre-cancerous cell changes on their cervix. Prior to pap smears and loop excisions, women were dying due to cervical cancer at a very high rate. Now though, a very simple (less than 10 minute) procedure can stop the cells from spreading, allow women to keep their girly parts and save lives. ;)

it all sounds way worse than it is. But it is a good idea to ask your doctor about hpv at your next pap --- even if you've been married forever because hpv can be in your system for a decade or more before showing up.
|

Especially eHealthy
Hpv stands for the "human papiloma virus" which does cause cervial cancer if not treated.

It can also cause blindness and other illnesses. If you're feeling the side effects, it's time for higher intervention(surgeries)

this virus is a very wide spread virus and can be fatal. But as long as your mother is strong and has faith, she will be fine. The medical field is highly advanced now and can help people survive this horrible cancer!!

Good luck girl! I hope you mom turns out ok!!

Sarah
|

babymajic0506 wrote:
hpv stands for the "human papiloma virus" which does cause cervial cancer if not treated.

It can also cause blindness and other illnesses. If you're feeling the side effects, it's time for higher intervention(surgeries)

this virus is a very wide spread virus and can be fatal. But as long as your mother is strong and has faith, she will be fine. The medical field is highly advanced now and can help people survive this horrible cancer!!

Good luck girl! I hope you mom turns out ok!!

Whoah whoah whoah. Not true. The virus itself isnt fatal ever. Nor does it cause blindness. Cancer obviously can be fatal, but hpv itself is not. 80% of females contract hpv at somepoint during their life. Its that widespread.

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
How is the virus not fatal if .I.T causes cancer which is? Hmmm...Sounds like it is fatal if not dealt with and watched closely.

If you give birth to a child and you have a breakout at the time, and your child's eyes are exposed, it can cause blindness in the newborn. Or cause he/she to have herpes of the eyes.

It's crazy how many women can have it and not know huh? It's like playing russian roulette when you have sex unprotected. Thank god i'm monomogous!!

I hope they can fine actual cures for these viruses!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2006
Supporter
My mom had cervical cancer when I was in grade 3... She had to go to a hospital on the mainland to get surgery.. Now she dosnt get her period anymore and she cant have kids.. But shes ok.. And my aunts have had pre-cancerous cells in their cervix too and got them removed and are fine.. It runs in my family apparently (eep).. But I wouldnt worry to much about it.. Its more and more common now a days.. And the doctors know what they are doing
|

replied August 16th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
how is the virus not fatal if .I.T causes cancer which is? Hmmm...Sounds like it is fatal if not dealt with and watched closely.

If you give birth to a child and you have a breakout at the time, and your child's eyes are exposed, it can cause blindness in the newborn. Or cause he/she to have herpes of the eyes.

It's crazy how many women can have it and not know huh? It's like playing russian roulette when you have sex unprotected. Thank god i'm monomogous!!

I hope they can fine actual cures for these viruses!!

Sarah

hpv doesn't cause herpes - and isn't known to cause problems at birth.

It can cause the cells on your cervix to change rapidly and progress into cervical cancer after years of neglect. That is why women have pap smears every year, to check on the state of their cervix. This has been going on forever - that is why the pap smear was invented, to find cell abnormalities before they progress. Before pap smears, women died all the time from cervical cancer. Now it is so treatable, a 10 minute procedure can remove cell changes before they ever become cancer!

Let me clarify, dysplasia is not cancer. .C.I.N 3 (same as dysplasia, just a different word) is not cancer. They are just ways to describe changes on a cellular level. Cancer is still a long way off from severe dysplasia.

Cervical cancer does not 'run in families'. You do not inherit cervical cancer - you get cervical cancer from sex. Even if you have only ever had one single partner, you can still have hpv. There is no test for men to find out if they have hpv, and it is very rare for them to ever have any problems with it. Hpv can be in your body for many years before you know it (get tested, they have tests for it now) and some people have it and will never know. Other people will get cervical abnormalities (pre-cancer) and a few will get cancer.

Get your pap smears, girls. And always wear a condom.
|
Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....