Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Burning In Left Ear From Acid Reflux; Pressure; Cool Feeling

Moderator note: re-categorize this if i've put it in the wrong place.

Burning in left ear from acid reflux; pressure; cool feeling on left side of head?

I have learned from a dr that i've been blowing my nose excessively and much harder than I should be for many years (over 10). A couple years ago I got a bad flu and could not get rid of it for weeks until I kept a log of my physical actions everyday and then studied them for patterns. Turns out when I blew my nose my left ear would experience pain worse when sick; mildly so when not sick. Some bleeding from the ear and nose from time to time during sickness. So I stopped blowing my nose & irrigated it instead and I finally started to get well. Since then my dr has said that my left eardrum wall is thinner than my right from repeated infections/scarring over the years. Sounds are more sensitive in my left ear. Odd add-in: I have acid reflux. When I reflux I experience a heartburn & burning sensation in my left ear. It is consistent every time I reflux. An mri of the head has shown normal, but I don't understand how so. I now blow my nose while holding my left ear shut which helps.
Additional details

6 days ago
today blowing my nose I forgot to hold my left ear shut (with a finger) and now I have a strange cool feeling on the left side of my head. From time to time this condition also affects my equilibrium, ability to think straight, and my vision. Rest helps, but only until the next time I have to blow my nose and is worsened if I forget to hold my left ear shut to stop escaping air/pressure. How could the mri show that everything is fine if I have all these symptoms and what do all these symptoms mean if a dr cannot find something wrong?
This question is no longer open for answering. Here's your chance to cast a vote if you haven't already.

Answerer from someone on another board -
doctors don't know everything. You could be a good case for study.
-----------------------
well if thats true, then how do I go about getting someone to pay attention to me so I could get on with a study for this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Justine1977
|

replied May 28th, 2010
Same problem
I have absolutely the same issue right now! I went to the doc about acid reflux/gerd and she checked my ears and didn't see anything. But it's a burning sensation and consequent earache. If you find out what is going on, let me know!
|

replied October 8th, 2011
same
You guys, i have the same thing. I went to the ent and he told me that is acid reflux. I had the catscan done in my head as well as an MRI and doctors always say may ears look fine, but this burning pain in my ear is unbearable
|

replied October 4th, 2012
I have been experiancing the same thing for over a year now. One doctor claimed I have a retracted ear drum and then another claimed I do not. So then one of them sent me to a E.N.T to get it checked out where she said she thinks I have T.M.J who then reffered me to P.T. I almost did not go because I knew I did not have T.M.J but was fed up and willing to try anything. These are my symptoms: My ear is always burning, achey, andoccasionally pops. I can not take loud noises either. My left side of my neck is always tight and I have chronic headaches mainly in the base of my head and sometimes into my left eye. I have found the only thing that has worked for me is physical therapy. I have been having something called dry needling. It is the only way I have found some relief but it only lasts a little while. Day or two, which is better then being in constant pain. They are very small needles and coming from me someone who is not good with needles it was nothing. Maybe check into getting Dry needling done. The needle goes into your muscle and it loosens the muscle. I hope this has helped you some how. Good luck to you all.
|

replied October 4th, 2012
I have been experiancing the same thing for over a year now. One doctor claimed I have a retracted ear drum and then another claimed I do not. So then one of them sent me to a E.N.T to get it checked out where she said she thinks I have T.M.J who then reffered me to P.T. I almost did not go because I knew I did not have T.M.J but was fed up and willing to try anything. These are my symptoms: My ear is always burning, achey, andoccasionally pops. I can not take loud noises either. My left side of my neck is always tight and I have chronic headaches mainly in the base of my head and sometimes into my left eye. I have found the only thing that has worked for me is physical therapy. I have been having something called dry needling. It is the only way I have found some relief but it only lasts a little while. Day or two, which is better then being in constant pain. They are very small needles and coming from me someone who is not good with needles it was nothing. Maybe check into getting Dry needling done. The needle goes into your muscle and it loosens the muscle. I hope this has helped you some how. Good luck to you all.
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2013
something n my ear
please help it feels like i have something in my left ear and a cold sensation all over my head i have had a mri which was clear but im convinced something is wrong would a mri show f there was something growing in my ear m at my wits end PLEASE help me thank you elaine
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...