Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Does Diarrhea indicate the spread of Cancer?

User Profile
My Dad has been diagnosed with Non-Small Cell lung cancer with Emphazemia in Feburary. When he was admitted with a deadly level of phnemonia (coughing blood, incoherent, resulted in lost rest of hearing to being bone deaf) this is when the mass was found. Due to phnemonia (not in relation to cancer) putting him into heart failure the heart was deemed extremely week. He is not a canidate for cancer med's, lung removal or chemo do to the severe heart condition. Radiation was the only available option and he went for 20 sessions ending in the month of May. Since February he was moved in with my sister and put on the life line home call service due to the heart and lungs status.
My concern this week is that he has said the Immodium he is allowed to take for his diarrehia is not working. Although this is the only additional physical symptom when his radiation started in late April, it has significantly worsened. All scans and current x-ray show no movement of cancer to other organs, bones, or brian and the growth was under a cm over 3 months of which was done in June. I'm concerned about the increased diarrehia on the heart and wonder how likely this is an indicator that the cancer is evolving?
Thank you,
Tammy

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2006
Lung Cancer, Lung Disorders Answer A1330
Diarrhea is more likely a symptom of intestinal infection than an indicator of the spread of cancer. You can request a microbiological examination of the feces. Then, you can ask for an intestinal antiseptic or proper antibiotic prescription, according to the antibiogram. A proper diet is also recommended for treating diarrhea.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.