Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

Is high TSH linked to Irregular Menstrual cycle?

User Profile
Hi,

I have been having irregular menstrual cycle(once in 2 months) for the past 1 yr and upon consulting the doctor she had prescribed a Thyroid test. The results showed that my Triiodothyronine(T3) level was 1.04 ng/ml, Thyroxine(T4) level was 5.12 ug/dl and TSH was 5.60 mlU/ml. The doctor said that my thyoid level was a bit high and prescribed THYRONORM 25mg, to be taken everyday. I have been taking this for past 70 days. Do I still need to continue taking them? I have another 30 tablets left to be taken.

Also, is high TSH anyway linked to my irregular menstrual cycle. I'm planning to get pregnant, will high TSH effect this? Pls note that my doctor has adviced me not to try getting preganant till I complete the Thyronorm course.

Regards,
Swapna

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2006
Infertility Answer A1322
Thyronorm 25mg is used for treating HYPO-thyroidism. According to my data, your T4 and T3 levels are normal and only the TSH levels are a little above normal. A small increase in TSH doesn’t cause menstrual irregularity. I recommend you consult an endocrinologist because there is probably nothing wrong with your thyroid gland. You can examine all the hormones involved in the ovarian function (FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, thyroxin, testosterone and DHEA) and request a vaginal ultrasound as diagnostic tools.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.