I was diagnosed over a year ago with kidney stones however never passed them.

This past tuesday I got to endure the worst pain in the world. One minute I was fine working at my desk, the next I was doubled over in pain. A coworker walked me over to my urologist (i work in the medical field, and luckly across the street). I there find out i'm passing 1 of the 2 stones that they found over a year ago. It had to be the worst pain in the world. I ended up at the er getting iv drugs to help with the pain. I finally pass that stone however the other one is still in the left kidney. It has been there for over a year so I guess i'll be going through this again eventually.

My question is when?

Also, how prone are people to get kidney stones again once they have had them? Also, what creates kidney stones?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 16th, 2006
Ok .. I had kidnewy stones 3 yars ago but mine were lodged in the kidney so I would never have passed them. It was the worst pain imaginable even for a woman who has had 3 children! As they were never going to pass naturally I had to have them 'blasted' which was fairly painless.... Afater this I did a lot of research on kidney stones.... They are caused simply by not drinking enough water... As simple as that! And certain chemicals found in various food and drinks that have too much calcium.... What happens is when you become dehydrated the calcium in your urine crystalises and forms over many years into stones.... You need to drink a glass of water every hour to keep yourself hydrated so that the calcuium in you urine doesnt become too concentrated... Also things like dark cabbage, or anything with caffine like cola or coffee is no good as these are diuretic.... (make you pee more often) a good guide is if you wee is dark in colour you need to drink more water if it is light in clolour it is ok.... People who have kidney stones one are 50% likely to have them again within 5 years unless you change you lifestyle and drink more water.. Hope this helps
|

replied July 21st, 2007
Re: Passing Kidney Stones
nannuck wrote:
I was diagnosed over a year ago with kidney stones however never passed them.

This past tuesday I got to endure the worst pain in the world. One minute I was fine working at my desk, the next I was doubled over in pain. A coworker walked me over to my urologist (i work in the medical field, and luckly across the street). I there find out i'm passing 1 of the 2 stones that they found over a year ago. It had to be the worst pain in the world. I ended up at the er getting iv drugs to help with the pain. I finally pass that stone however the other one is still in the left kidney. It has been there for over a year so I guess i'll be going through this again eventually.

My question is when?

Also, how prone are people to get kidney stones again once they have had them? Also, what creates kidney stones?
usally if they stay high in th kidney and dont block or come down to the ureter you dont have much prbs.But i you want and hope they come out easy on there own.Still will have pain but you dont want one to block anything either.
|

replied September 11th, 2014
Kidney stones can be the worst thing ever,they cause SO much pain its unbelievable ,I'm 21 & I've had 5 stones in a year in a half,including a shockwave which got rid of my first 4 and now I have 1 & some reason my body just doesnt pass these stones and now I have calcium build up,which supposedly can cause kidney failure,and since its in both kidneys its scary I live every day in fear not knowing what can happen,I went to a kidney doctor last week & he said theres nothing he can do about it and basically I'll have this kidney disease for the rest of my life, do you think I should get a 2nd opinion,cause thats what many people tell me?
|
Must Read
More than a million people get kidney stones in the US annually. But what is a kidney stone? How many types of kidney stones are diagnosed?...
Can kidney stones be avoided? Learn the common causes and factors that can put you at risk of developing a kidney stone here....
How do you know if flank pain is caused by kidney stones? Learn to identify the common signs and symptoms of kidney stones in this section....