I was reading about this (coronary artery spasm) on medline or some website of the such.... Wondering if I may have been misdiagnosed...

Basically, i'm 21. Ever since I was about 7 or 8 (maybe younger but that's the earliest I remember this happening) I would have moments (both resting and active) where I would get a pain that would start towards the left but in the center of my chest. This pain mimicks a heart attack (as best as I would think.) it renders me pretty much useless during the attack. I can't breathe (breathing makes it worse- so shallow breaths are the only thing I can manage.) I get lightheaded because of this. Pain shoots up my neck and through the left arm, and feels like it overtakes my entire left side of my upper body. These attacks last anywhere from 1 minute to five minutes.... I was diagnosed by a doctor when I was 8 (which could have been misdiagnosed either by her judging my age as a factor or by her not knowing what I truely was trying to explain) as having costochondritis because she said the fact that I feel a pain when she pressed the ribcage on the lefthand side (which I think honestly anyone would...). However from what I read, costochondritis does not have these side effects as accutely and the pain would either be lasting longer than 5 minutes or would have subsided years ago. I do not and have not ever had a chest injury. I do not have high blood pressure. As far as I can tell there is no family history of heart attacks. I can't be sure of that but I think that is the case. I don't smoke. I don't have asthma. I don't have panic attacks. And these things don't occur depending on when i'm moving or not... (ex: I have then while driving, I have them at work, I have them exercising, and I have them laying down in bed...) I had an x-ray done when I was younger also and nothing showed up (think it was x-ray, may have been some other little wonderous machine that takes pics of hearts and lungs and things like that :p ). So...... Any ideas anyone? Is it possible I have what they call coronary artery spasm and just have a chronic case of it and don't have the artery blockage? I'm just wondering and asking this because if I was misdiagnosed, I want to revisit a doctor (but no health insurance at this time so...... Expensive) and if anyone else has been diagnosed with costochondritis please let me know if these things are what you also experience. Thanks :?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2008
Coronary Artery spasms
I’ve been diagnosed with coronary artery spasms.

The pain and severity of an attack can only be understood by someone who has experienced the same. I am 33 years old. I was diagnosed at age 32.

I guess being diagnosed with this condition surprises me somewhat. I’m so conscious of my diet, always have been. I used to gym 4 times a week. I am below my approved BMI. (Body mass Index).

Doctors only picked it up when I had a mild attack which apparently occurred from a prolonged artery spasm. I had gone to doctors two years prior to no avail. I was continually told, it’s probably a severe heart burn! Some heart burn that turned out to be that almost cost me my life. Confused

I was told I was not a possible candidate for a heart condition because I am slim, low cholesterol levels, no other sicknesses besides asthma. “You’re just too young and healthy” Where some of the statements thrown at me.

I am now on medication for the condition and see my cardiologist once every 3 months. What I’d like to know is, is this condition emotionally triggered?
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Coronary Artery Spasm
I, too, have been diagnosed with coronary artery spasm. Sad I am female 42 and live in the UK. I consider my self to be healthy if a little over weight. I am a non smoker. Never took any medication until a month ago when I was diagnosed after an angiogram. Angiogram showed no significant narrowing of the arteries. Pain starts in my jaw on the right hand side, and travels towards the middle of my chest and out to my right hand arm pit. Pain normally occurs at rest. I have, however, noticed a pattern to the pain... it gets worse / more frequent the week before and during menstruation. So far I have not been back to see the cardiologist, only got discharged on 25th May 08 from hospital. At the moment I am taking 60mg Diltiazem twice a day; althought the Doc said taking 3 times a day would be OK;75mg aspirin and 40mg Simvastatin.

Would be interested to hear from others who have been diagnosed with the same. Very Happy
|

replied January 19th, 2012
cornary artery spasm
Well, I am 47 and was just diagnois with cornary artery spasm as well. I am devastated and feel that my life is over, because I never had serios illness or have I ever been hospitalized. I am baffaled to be honest. I had a cardiac cath done and no clot of blockage was found, I am in faily in good shape 5'4" 120-125 lbs. I exercise and try to eat right and now this. I had two episodes, the second was severe pain in the chest, jaw and left arm, so I got really scared and went to the ER and was admitted. I do not have high blood pressure, nor high cholesterol and the doctors prescribed Crestor, Metoprolol,clopidogrel, asprin and nitroglycerin. I was never on any medication prior, and now I feel that my life is over because I have to take all this meds, side effects and all. I am very depressed and worried over this.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
cornary artery spasm
Well, I am 47 and was just diagnois with cornary artery spasm as well. I am devastated and feel that my life is over, because I never had serious illness or have I ever been hospitalized. I am baffaled to be honest. I had a cardiac cath done and no clot of blockage was found, I am in faily in good shape 5'4" 120-125 lbs. I exercise and try to eat right and now this. I had two episodes, the second was severe pain in the chest, jaw and left arm, so I got really scared and went to the ER and was admitted. I do not have high blood pressure, nor high cholesterol and the doctors prescribed Crestor, Metoprolol,clopidogrel, asprin and nitroglycerin. I was never on any medication prior, and now I feel that my life is over because I have to take all this meds, side effects and all. I am very depressed and worried over this.
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....