My mom has these heart conditions, and now she's got 2 options: get a pace maker, or ablation. She *has* to do one or the other. If she gets the pace maker there is a 99% chance of it being successful, even tho she will need to continue with her medication. The pacemaker will keep her heart from beating too slow, but it won't help with it from beating too fast. With the ablation (burning the vein leading to the heart, that is causing the problem) there is a 70% chance of success, and a 5% chance of something going wrong....Either a stroke, or tearing the lining of her heart. If successful, she will be able to stop the use of her meds and should feel a heck of a lot better. Has anyone had this procedure done (ablation) or know of anyone that has this done? Any info would be greatly appreciated as my mother can't decide which way to go. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Hi,

I'm not a physician but I am a Paramedic who deals with a lot patient who suffer from A-Fib and other arrhythmias that require interventions such as ablation or pacemaker.

From talking with physicians and several patients, pacemaker implantation has become a very popular, very effective method in regulation of arrhythmias. As you stated above and according to research studies, ablation is not 100% effective and poses more of a risk than the pacemaker implant.

The pacemaker has come so far technologically and is very effective. However, every 9-10 years the pacemaker will need to be replaced.

I hope I was some assistance to you. Good luck with everything.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....