Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Persistent One Sided Sore Throat: Worst Case...cancer?

So, i'm an 18 year old female...

I've been struggling with a sore throat on the left side since feb.
It only hurts really when I swallow.

I went to the doctor this past week and he contributed it to post nasal drip and/or gastric reflux. (i haven't felt any lumps or anything else unusual and the doctor said the left side is simply more irritated than the right.)
i don't feel evaluated enough, being that he briefly glanced in my throat with a light and then came to his conclusion.

I smoked off and on for about a year...And I don't drink.
Honestly, I know the age for throat cancer is 60+ but...I seem to have all of the symptoms. (i lost five pounds in the past few months...My ear aches on the left side.) tonsil stones maybe? Would gastric reflux limit itself to one side of the throat? And would post nasal drip do the same?

I don't know what to do. I am in japan for the summer and can't really seek any other medical attention. I was recently diagnosed with skin problems (folliculitis and I had a skin infection on my ear where I had it pierced) but that's really neither here nor there.

I think everyone that has problems like this jumps to the worst case scenario...But any advice is welcome. I tend to worry quite a bit.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....