Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Getting Things Together

Hey everyone!

I find that I am having even more trouble getting things together in life now that i'm finished high school after i'm finished with my diploma. Um, where do I start?

Well, a major concern for me is that I really don't know how to do anything right. You know I have to get a job real soon and i'm just nervous about it. I am really not good at talkin' with people and followin' instructions, which are some of the main things that are holdin' me back. And they're really simple things as well. People get mad at me for not bein able to perform well and that includes family members. I just get scared of these people.

My dad wants me to a machinist, but that is something that don't think I wanna pursue. I'm afraid if I try to resist his demands, that I would get a yellin' of a lifetime and I might get kicked out the house. A problem is that I have no idea what career I wanna pursue myself. I find myself to be a person that isn't interested in very much things, so that is another factor that holds me back.

Since i'm not a very interesting person, I have trouble talkin' to people and makin' friends. I've lost my firends and that is just somethin' that is on my mind often. I just don't know what to say to people. I remember a few weeks ago I was talkin' to this girl I really like. I was tryin' to be friendly to her, but all I could do was ask stupid questions and I didn't present myself as a fun person, so she would rather talk to this other guy beside us and she laughed at eveyrthing he said while I can tell she showed no interest in what I said.

Something that could possibly contribute to my lack of things to say to people is my low intelligence. Believe it or not, but there are some words that I should've known a long time ago that I still don't know now. I see what people contribute and when I compare them to myself, I see myself as a very useless person. Their knowledge has so much depth while I still don't have a basic understanding of things (like politics and lynguistics). I've had all these years to get to that level and i'm not blamin' anyone but myself. I feel so spoiled because I have shelter and get food while other people are workin' hard but end up dyin'.

Well, I think that's everything. I hope it wasn't too long or whiny for y'all. Please help me with all this and I will be grateful.

One.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Bump
|

replied June 29th, 2006
Anybody willing to help? Thanks for bumping.
|

replied June 29th, 2006
Experienced User
I have some of the same problems too..Not very intelligent (because of my extremly big learning disability I guess..), don't know what to say to either guys or women unless it's sports but you dont go talking all sports like to the ladys...Little to no intrest in stuff (i tend to get intrested in something..Then I lose intrest, my dad gets mad because of this), no friends, don't like sitting at home all day but that's what i'm good at and do.
|

replied June 29th, 2006
Yeah, I wanna actually have a life. You know, I wanna have enough friends to love, have a beautiful wife, be smart so I know how to contibute to the world. I don't wanna be a waste of space. I wanna be able to know what path I should take and don't let anyone dictate how I live. I just need assistance. I need to be loved.
|

replied July 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Aspiration you are being way too hard on yourself. I think the way you are looking at yourself and judging yourself are not accurate. See if you can find a cbt group that meets by you because it is helping me learn to catch my thinking errors that cause a lot of my anguish and you sound like you are beating yourself up like I have had a habit of doing. You clearly know how to do plenty of things because if you didn't how would you have gotten on the computer and posted these notes :d
if you learn how to stop being so hard on yourself I think you will be just fine!
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....