Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Will Someone Freaking Answer Me?!?!?!?!?!?

User Profile
What are the symptos of bi-polar? Thankyou
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2006
Some Symptoms
Go to www.Nami.Org and www.Nmha.Org.
Here are some of the posted symptoms.

Mania is the word that describes the activated phase of bipolar disorder. The symptoms of mania may include:

either an elated, happy mood or an irritable, angry, unpleasant mood
increased activity or energy
more thoughts and faster thinking than normal
increased talking, more rapid speech than normal
ambitious, often grandiose, plans
poor judgement
increased sexual interest and activity
decreased sleep and decreased need for sleep
what are the symptoms of depression?

Depression is the other phase of bipolar disorder. The symptoms of depression may include:

depressed or apathetic mood
decreased activity and energy
restlessness and irritability
fewer thoughts than usual and slowed thinking
less talking and slowed speech
less interest or participation in, and less enjoyment of activities normally enjoyed
decreased sexual interest and activity
hopeless and helpless feelings
feelings of guilt and worthlessness
pessimistic outlook
thoughts of suicide
change in appetite (either eating more or eating less)
change in sleep patterns (either sleeping more or sleeping less)
what is a "mixed" state?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: Some Symptoms
nitrochic wrote:

what is a "mixed" state?
i have no idea.I was just asking because I think my boyfrend may be bi-polar.He only threatens to commit suicide when he's drunk(which is also mostly when the !**@! side comes out of him).He has someof these symptoms but I wonder if you have to have all the symptoms to be bi-polar?Thank you much for your response!
|

replied June 21st, 2006
Alcohol is its own problem, don't trivialize bipolar by realating it to some guy who threatens to take his life while he's drunk. I have type 1 bipolar and think that too many people associate bipolar disorder with plain old stupidity. He probably does not have bipolar if he only does this when he is drunk, true bipolar is not associated with "downers" such as alcohol. True bipolar shows itself at any time no matter what the circumstance.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
its38 wrote:
alcohol is its own problem, don't trivialize bipolar by realating it to some guy who threatens to take his life while he's drunk. I have type 1 bipolar and think that too many people associate bipolar disorder with plain old stupidity. He probably does not have bipolar if he only does this when he is drunk, true bipolar is not associated with "downers" such as alcohol. True bipolar shows itself at any time no matter what the circumstance.
you misunderstood me.He doesn't only do it when he;s drunk,its just that when he's drunk its worss.I think he is bi-polar though.He has a lot of those symptoms but not all.Do you have to have all those symptoms to be bi-polar?
|

replied June 21st, 2006
Bi-polar And Alcohol
Melissa,

your bf doesnt have to have all the symptoms to be bipolar, but as a recovering alcoholic, I think you should look into simple depression... Nothing simple about it of course, but untreated bi-polar disorder can be very dangerous, and unpredictable. It seems to me that you have his mood swings down pretty good. Bi-polar is pretty difficult to map and predict. The alcohol abuse could be a an effect of self medication for depression.
Understand that you will not be able to convince him to stop drinking or get help unless he wants to, and he can see how easy it is to get help.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: Bi-polar And Alcohol
nitrochic wrote:
melissa,

your bf doesnt have to have all the symptoms to be bipolar, but as a recovering alcoholic, I think you should look into simple depression... Nothing simple about it of course, but untreated bi-polar disorder can be very dangerous, and unpredictable. It seems to me that you have his mood swings down pretty good. Bi-polar is pretty difficult to map and predict. The alcohol abuse could be a an effect of self medication for depression.
Understand that you will not be able to convince him to stop drinking or get help unless he wants to, and he can see how easy it is to get help.
someone told me that bi-polar can go a long period of time wo having a depression stage.He can go one to three months.But maybe you are right.When he has a really bad day,i mean like one day he found out he couldn't get his work driving liscense for some reason,our plane ticket price went up and we didn't have the money for them and his boss was giving himsh*t at work,when he has a day like that he goes out and gets totally wasted.He will say things to you about stuff that bothered him that you did,and it could be from yesterday to 2 or 3 months ago.He keps everything in and when he gets wasted it all comes out,things you didn't even know that bothered him.When he doesn't get drunk he for a while is in his good mood,then one day for like 2 or 3 days he is pissy and no one wants to be around him/he doesn't want to be around anyone.I told him he has anger issues and he needs to find another way to deal with them besides getting wasted cause I can't take it anymore.I almost came to my breaking point last time(which was about 2 weeks ago).He said he would go to the doctor to see about some help,but I don't know.Do you suggest anything,like maybe how I should handle him when he's drunk and starts spouting off?(i don't live with him at the moment btw)
|

replied October 30th, 2006
Experienced User
I'm not one of those people who councils to "dump him" for every little incompatability, but having spent ten years married to an alchoholic, I think this is one of those instances when it applies - he's not going to get better unless he wants to, and seeks help for himself, you can't do a damn thing for him, except maybe make him worse.

I knew guy like that once, always threatening to kill himself - he puulled out a gun once in a house full of kids, and pointed it at his head. I talked him out of the gun, then pointed it at his head and asked him if he really wanted to die - turned out he didn't, and he quit playing that game.

I.E., it might be a sympathy ploy, he's playing you, trying to get you to feel sorry for him, and if you threaten to leave him i'm guessing he'sll use it.

You probobly can't do what I did, but but you can call his bluff and notify the police that he's threatening to kill himself - being a danger to himself or others constitutes grounds for intervention.

Either way, if it's a bluff, he'll get the help he needs for his other problems, and if it isn't, he'll get the help he needs for that too, form professionals.

Still, it may not take, he won't do it untill he's ready, which could be a long time, so for you, i'd advise not getting drawn into his game, you'll end up in as bad a shape or worse - get some distance.
|

replied October 30th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Some people can be in the manic stage for a long time. They don't sleep (they don't need to) and then switch almost instantly into the depressed stage. Some people cycle really fast going from manic to depressed many times within the same day.

Alcohol is a depressant and when someone who may not be totally stable in the first place drinks, this is a recipe for bad things to happen. I hope he always takes his feelings out on himself and doesn't take them out on you.

My ex was also a total a$$ when he drinks. (hence, being an ex) when people didn't pay attention to him or if he has been a jerk and made everyone feel terribe that they don't talk to him then he turns his anger onto himself and threatens to kill himself. He learned that this type of behavior got him attention. I solved the issue by calling 911 when he threatened to off himself one time. The sheriff transported him to the er where a full psychiactric evaluation was performed. He didn't get admitted to the mental hospital, but was told that he would be 'blue papered' if he did it again. He was very upset with me when he got out, but he didn't threaten to hurt himself again.
|

replied December 12th, 2006
Symptoms
Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder characterized by alternating states of depression and mania that follow each other in a repeating cycle.

People with bipolar disorder may cycle through these states quickly or may experience long periods of depression or mania. Often one mood state predominates, while the other occurs only infrequently or briefly.

Symptoms of the elevated mood stage of bipolar disorder include an exaggerated sense of confidence and well-being, racing thoughts, excessive talking, distractibility, increased desire for pleasurable activity, decreased need for sleep, impulsivity, irritability, and impairment in judgment. The depressed phase includes symptoms of sadness, fatigue, pessimism, feelings of helplessness, low self-esteem, and loss of interest in life, possibly with thoughts of suicide.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...