Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

What is a vascular necurosis and what can be done to correct

User Profile
I recently had an MRI done of my left hip. Unstablitity, pain, swellin in the left leg. I was told by a PA that I needed to find an orthopedic doctor. I was told the result showed sublaxation, and avascular neucrosis, sever degenation, arthritis. What is a vascular necurosis and what can be done to correct this? Can a hip replacement help? I am not a good candiate for surgery as I have a pseudocholastrace deficiency. Please help me to understand alternative treatment plans if any. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A1142
Avascular necrosis (of the femur’s head, I suppose) indicates a dead bone. Often, bones die because of disturbed blood circulation within. In your case, blood circulation in the bone has been disturbed due to the prolonged usage of the corticosteroids and diabetes mellitus. It seems that a hip replacement is the only possible treatment for your symptoms and diagnosis. You can consult an orthopedist for an expert opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.