Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Quick Question For My Girls

Okay, so, my cousin cheyenne is getting married this summer, and her stagette is on saturday. I'm not going (i think it would be pretty much a giveaway if I came home drunk), but chey's wondering if I can babysit for her best friend, larissa, so riss can go to the stagette. Larissa has two kids, a three year old boy (caden) and a two month old girl (sophia). What's going to happen is at about five, my mom's going to drive me to larissa's house, and i'm going to look after the kids, feed them, put them to bed, etc. Larissa's boyfriend left her last month, so i'm basically her only babysitting hope. However, my mom is concerned that looking after sophia will be too much for me. I'm a good babysitter, and i'm experienced too, but I don't know sophia and caden as well as I know some of the other kids i've babysat for. I've met them a few times, but i'm still not positive. Another thing is that sophia has had problems keeping milk down - soy, regular, skim, homo, whatever. Riss hasn't been able to figure out what's wrong with her, but apparently she's taking her to the doctor's tomorrow so it will be sorted out by saturday. Also, caden can apparently be a handful, and doesn't listen to babysitters. Now, i've had kids like that before, and usually i'm able to handle it. I'm really happy that chey and larissa are trusting me to be able to take care of an infant, but would it be wrong for me to accept? Riss apparently doesn't drink, so she'll be able to drive me home afterwards. The stagette is at chey's apartment, ten minutes away from larissa's house, so i've been told that if there are any problems, I can call and she'll come home.
Should I be wary that larissa is leaving me with a two month old? I've never babysat practically a newborn for that long before (it'll likely be five-seven hours), and chey and riss both think I can handle it, and I think that things will probably be fine, but what if something goes wrong? I need some awesome advice from you girls. Should I consider for a few days? Make sure I understand how things work more??

Mattea xxxxx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well good luck lol i'm sure you can do it.

Why don't you take a friend with you so you know you guys can handle it? I think it'd be easier that way =)
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Maybe go round for a couple of hours during the day before the saturday and introduce youself to the kids and see how are. Watch how their mom handles things and it'll give you a good idea of how it'll be on the night.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2006
Community Volunteer
I agree with beckster.

Spend a bit of time with the kids before hand so you aren't a stranger.
Watch how their mom deals with situations.

Oh and don't tell caden you're the babysitter.
Say something like "autie mattea, chey's sister, is gonna look after you guys for a couple hours and we're gonna hve some fun yeah"

don't spring bedtime on him. Make sure his sister is somewhere safe (cot/crib/bassinet) when you actually embark on "bedtime".

Give him fair warning - "in half hour we'll get ready for bed" then "in 15 minutes we'll get ready for bed", 10 mins, 5mins, "ok let's get ready for bed".

Do wash/bath/story/drinkies - try to be close to his normal routine.
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks, kia and beck. We've made an arrangement for me to spend time with the kids on friday, so hopefully that will get caden and sophia used to me. :)
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...