Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Complications due to a Urinary Tract Infection

User Profile
okay, here goes. im 39 year old female. 18 months ago, i developed a uti after my husband and I had un protected sex as we were ttc. This took about 3 months to clear up, but i immediately had a urine culture done in israel, before anti biotics, and was diagnosed as having E.coli . I took the medication, and it took a good 3 months to feel straight again. However, we were still ttc, and after another session of trying, with unprotected sex, i felt the urge again a few days later of the uti coming back. This time, i rushed to the doctor with a culture test or urine, took trimeprothim anti biotics, and waited for the results. The dip showed positive uti. However the docs lost the CULTURE, and after a week and a half, i was no closer to finding out what the cause was.
Back and forth to the doctors over 7 weeks, on anti biotics for most of them, the culture came back inconclusive. Now, ! Finally went to an urologist who prescribed im taking nitrofurentoin, but its made my condition worse!

symptoms: PEEING ALL THE TIME, CANT STOP, FEEL THE URGE TO GO , SLIGHT BURNING IN URETHRA AREA, BLADDER TENDER AS IT FEELS FULL ALL THE TIME: ONLY PEE LITTLE AMOUNTS. Dip tests show positives before the anti biotics, now cultures come back clear?

i was due to go to ivf this month, now have to put it off so that this is sorted out

help me

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2006
Urinary & Bladder Disorders Answer A1134
It seems obvious that you experienced a urinary tract infection in the past. It is difficult, however, to diagnose the presence of an infection now, or to reject this theory. You are experiencing the symptoms for a urinary tract infection. but you haven't yet isolated the infective agent in the urine. You can request another microbiological examination of the urine. If the test culture is clear again, then you probably don’t have an infection but may be experiencing an allergic urethral inflammation.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.