I am 59 and have just been told by my doctor in the uk that I need a hip replacement following four years of pain. But I am a horse rider and she was very doubtful if I could continue after the operation. Can anyone out there advise me - maybe one of the new ceramic replacements would work? I am new to this and desperate to know if I have to give up my favourite hobby and my dream of one day owning my own horse.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 19th, 2004
Hi
Im a horseback rider 2 and I dont know that much about hip replacements but maybe you can talk to your doctor on alternative treatments or what can be done to help with being able to ride after the surgery.

Also if you cant ride you can always own the horse.
Hope you get better
|

replied May 25th, 2004
Find Out From Horse Organizations
There are many associations which help the disabled, and may be of help to you. I have pins in my femur, and it was put back a bit rotated, and is shorter than the other. I was on the back of a theraputic horse at 6 weeks (because I had to find out). I was not allowed to be fully weight bearing for 4 months, but I practiced in and out of an english saddle in our great room. The strength of the muscles as you recover I would say are the issue. Hips can pop out, spreading to ride might frighten your doc.
I kept at my docs, lots of pool therapy, and stretching on the bed etc.
I told doc, if I don't give it a reason to heal, (use it), it won't.
I am though in pain (my situation). After the last 2 years, I would slow down on the horses to relieve my own pain, but it's my life. It has been a lot of work. I would say, do it, and if you have to, you can get an extremely broke horse, and still take some short rides. You would not be the first.
|

replied May 26th, 2004
I Have a Student Who Rides Dressage And Small Jumps Who Has
A hip replacement.

It is good for her hip and her recovery has been great.

Her surgery was last falljavascript:emoticon(':d')
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry but I have to say it:

save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Lol sorry........
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Your Silly... Is the Baby the Cowboys?
Sorry could not help myself
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Is talking about riding my son supposed to be funny??? Mad
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Please
You make some !**@! comment about having sex with a cowboy rather than riding a horse

you have a picture of you holding a baby

so I ask if the baby belongs to the cowboy

go ride something and get off my back
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
It's a song you idiot....Not meant to be taken seriously....And by the way, my son belongs to a jock, not a cowboy. A cowboy probably has more common sense than his father. :d but hey it's alright not everyone can be perfect.....Right??? Cool doodoodoodoodoodeedoo
|

replied May 26th, 2004
For the Record You Are the Definition of Bipolar

yep that is you for sure!

Am i???
Posted: 05-26-04 1:57am

i was talking to a friend of mine who is bipolar. She thinks I might be too because I have some pretty intense mood swings. Like I am happy as anything one minute and in tears the next and ready to end it all. Does anyone know the symptoms of bipolar-ism?But if I might be I should probably go to the doctor and get diagnosed and on meds or whatever.....Because I don't want to do something stupid I will regret just because I was depressed ya know? Any input would help. Thanks.
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Okely dokely.....And what gives you that impression?
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Horseback riding and Hip Replacements
I am a horseback rider and have had 2 total hip replacements and several revisions. My first 2 surgeries were at the age of 27 and 28. My doctor says it is ok for me to continue riding as long as I have no pain and limit my risks of falling (meaning no jumping and avoiding dangerous situations as much as possible). Riding is great for the muscles and ligaments surrounding the joints. I have a Tennessee Walker, which is a smooth gaited horse. I would stick to a similar breed and stay away from non gaited breeds. Trotting with non-gaited horses puts extra strain on the joints and I find that I am in pain afterwards. "Pain is an indicator that an activity is not good for the hips!" I have had my horse for 8 years and feel great!

Go Gaited Horse and Happy Trails!!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....