Is there any info regarding eggs being bad for gout?

I eat at least one egg per day and I have shocking gout.

Wonder if there is a connection here?

Cheers,

paul.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JYY2
|

replied February 19th, 2007
Re: Eggs & Gout
mrfirkin wrote:
Is there any info regarding eggs being bad for gout?

I eat at least one egg per day and I have shocking gout.

Wonder if there is a connection here?

Cheers,

paul.

Paul, I have the same problem.

I love eggs, but I can't eat them without having a flare up. Sad

WK
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
Hi mrfirkin and WanttoKnow,

Ironically, (chicken) eggs have been recommended for gout patients in the medical and nutritional literature because they are very low in purines (< 50 mg/100 g of eggs), thus can keep the blood uric acid level low.

To find out why eggs trigger gout, could you tell us more about how eggs impact your gout, e.g., how many eggs do you eat a day, gout hits how many hours after eating eggs, what other suspected food did you eat with eggs, what kind of vitamin supplement do you take, how long have you had gout, how often do you have gout attacks, what are your uric blood uric acid levels ...? Many thanks.
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Eggs and Gout
I have suffered with Gout on and off for the past 6 years. I have tried herbal remedies, change of diet but have not managed to pin down a flare up until now. You read that its brought on by red meat and red wine along with too many Purines and protein. I do not drink red wine and rarely eat red meat - let alone all the items listed under purines! The way I have managed to control Gout is by not eating eggs and drinking more water - since then I have not had a flare up!Hopefully I have found the culprit! - The last flare up that I had was 6 hours after consuming an egg sandwich!
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2013
Re: Eggs and Gout
DJSTU wrote:
I have suffered with Gout on and off for the past 6 years. I have tried herbal remedies, change of diet but have not managed to pin down a flare up until now. You read that its brought on by red meat and red wine along with too many Purines and protein. I do not drink red wine and rarely eat red meat - let alone all the items listed under purines! The way I have managed to control Gout is by not eating eggs and drinking more water - since then I have not had a flare up!Hopefully I have found the culprit! - The last flare up that I had was 6 hours after consuming an egg sandwich!

Unfortunately, every gout suffer's "gout trigger" is different from the next person's. While for most, red meat, shellfish, organ meat, etc. are all high on the list of gout triggers, it's quite possible that any and all of those things won't trigger an attack in YOU.

It's important to try to track what YOUR triggers are - easier said than done, I know. I kept a notebook handy for years and recorded, as best I could, what triggered my gout. Finally, I found out that for me, the #1 trigger was processed lunch and deli meats with shellfish coming in second.

Fortunately, adequate amounts of water can really have a positive impact on gouts frequence and severity of flare ups. The US FDA recommends 8 glasses of water per day. If you have gout, that should be the minimum.

And, strangely enough, even though alcohol is known to be bad for gout, a small glass of wine each night seems to have had benefits for me.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
Eggs and Gout connection
I've never had Gout before in my life. Shortly after having been diagnosed with Hashimoto's (Antibodies against my thyroid) I got occasional Gout like symptoms (stabing pain in an ankle joint, would dimenish if I used it). These issues coincided with my increase in my 2-eggs per breakfast diet change, and giving up red meat. My cholesterol ratio is excellent. I'll be drinking more water, cutting back on the eggs. Call it a 'trigger', or call it "strong imagination'; but I believe the 'egg' connection to Gout to be genuine despite a low theoretical purine contribution.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....